What’s your ideal AR build?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I've been trying to upgrade a bit from my Franken guns. I'm liking Aero Precision for a mid tier AR. I also have a Saint that is ugly as sin but it has been upgraded to the Victor level so I'll most likely try to improve it's looks and keep it around.

I was going to put together a LaRue Tactical but decided that was more $$$ than I wanted to have in a rifle.

I prefer a 15" free float slimline rail and midlength gas 16" barrels and of course a MBT 2S trigger. I also prefer prism scopes but I do have a couple of 1-4 LPVO set ups.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
How do you like that 3x?

I have a 1x and I really like it but quite honestly my old eyes could use some help now and then.

I like it a lot. I want to get out and try it farther out, out to 300yds maybe more. I shot it at 100yds and it was easy to quickly engage. I think it’s a good match for the effective range of a .223 AR15 carbine.

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
best answer ever…. It depends.

Most accurate and the one I am most happy with form, function accuracy and appearance is my 6mm DTI. Built on a Black Rain lower, Noveske billet upper, Shillen barrel. Best 3 shot group I have ever shot with it measured 0.184” at 100 yds, but it is a 1/4 minute rifle all the time. It has taken several deer and one I am always comfortable in making headshots. Helluva varmint rifle as well due to the point blank range. Only rifle I have ever made a triple on coyotes.

That said, the build I seem to always gravitate to and carry more than any other is my 6.8 SPC. SOTA arms lower, Aero upper and Shaw barrel. Zeroed at 200 yds with 120 gr Hornady SST, sub-1 MOA all day long. True utility, get it done, grab and go to work rifle.

Tricky Dickey

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
I have the Geissele Super Duty in 10.3”, 11” and 16” great rifles and I’ve had just about everything high end out there. I like the BCM and consider it the lowest end I would want for a working man’s rifle.

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
Since this is a "build" question thread, I'll keep it to that vs a manufacturer.
I'll stick with forged receivers for this excercise.

Good quality qualified (GOV) upper from Colt or DD, or a WC
Colt or DD M16 BCG
Standard CH with/without taclatch; secondary WC ambidextrous
DD 14.5" mid gas barrel w/tube
MK12 Gas Block; secondary WC or similar ADJ Block
DD RISII or their MFR keymod; secondary WC 13" keymod
SF Warcomp or LT Tranquilo muzzle device; secondary, WC Accu Tac 3 prong (really like this MD)
KAC M4 BUIS; MP Pro BUIS
Sling mount

Most any quality lower - WC, Colt, DD, DPMS
4 Pos Colt Receiver Extension w/hardware
Colt or DD H2 buffer
Colt or similar recoil spring; Tubbs
WC, LT, CMMG, DPMS LPK (most are the same except the super cheap stuff)
PHV Ext Bolt release; BAD Lever
LT MBT; AR Gold
B5 Pistol grip and Buttstock

Sights - NFO 1-8x ATACR with LT104 (34mm); Sig Tango6T 1-6x with LT 104 (30mm); Eotech EXPS3 with Aimpoint mag

Billet version as above with WC billet upper/lower or LT upper/lower plus handguard
My own homemade sling
XM200 VBL or similar

Latest posts

Top Bottom