What’s Your Opinion on How Different The US Will Be After Covid 19

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Stuck here as well , the deserving of low pay .. that is a loaded discussion. Paying some one $15 an hour to flip burgers leads to mediocrity,BUT, that is my opinion. We keep hearing how America has moved into a service society but what I see is a bunch of Americans that are unwilling to bust their ass to learn a trade. Construction industry has a huge amount of openings but so many of today's youngsters feel they can walk straight into a well paying position with zero experience. If you are unwilling to take the steps to improve your lot in life than enjoy your $9 an hour job. You get out of life what you put into it and asking the government to mandate your betterment in my opinion is just lazy. The work is out there , go find it.

lots of 'loaded' discussion there, too.

My point being that many of those same jobs are 'deserving of low pay' are now being relied upon in a way they weren't a month ago. But this change in circumstance will likely influence the next discussion (whether it changes the outcome of those discussions remains to be seen). And it wont just be in regards to minimum wage, but wages in general, i suspect.

I think if we looked at a list of 'essential' jobs this time last year we'd have scoffed at some of the tasks that are proving important now. And that will carry forward.

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think it's possible more people will start working from home.
Think of the fuel and vehicle maintenance that could be saved. And utility and building costs for the employers.

Also the loss of lunch business for restaurants, and other brick and mortar business that people go to on their way to and from work.

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I suspect there are currently more online shoppers than ever due to CV, and I really don't expect that number to drop back to previous levels.

It doesn't bode well for small brick & mortar stores IMO. :/

It will now be up to them to find a way to appeal to customers in ways that online businesses cannot. Similar story to the old buggy whip analogy.

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Also the loss of lunch business for restaurants, and other brick and mortar business that people go to on their way to and from work.

Not really. Look at Grubhub, Ubereats and Doordash. More and more people were using those services even before covid19. Now they are considered essential as a food delivery service and are probably a major reason restaurants are still in business in some places.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not really. Look at Grubhub, Ubereats and Doordash. More and more people were using those services even before covid19. Now they are considered essential as a food delivery service and are probably a major reason restaurants are still in business in some places.

i think they absolutely are here. i did carryout the other night from a local place and there must have been 8 cars picking up for different services.

Latest posts

Top Bottom