What’s Your Opinion on How Different The US Will Be After Covid 19

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfssms

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think the main changes we will see:

More paranoia.
More acceptance of government intrusion - aka gun restrictions, shutdowns, travel restriction, business control.
More acceptance of national debt.
More push for a higher minimum wage/"living wage".
More push for government-run healthcare.
More acceptance of government bailouts.

Exactly! sadly we will still have our share of dumb people.

davek

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't even know if there will be an "after Covid 19". It's probably around to stay. Lot's of unknowns still.
Putting the economy in the deep freeze then thawing it out will be interesting, if that's the word.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I heard the other day that some (could’ve been all) these cruise companies aren’t even US taxpayers. That being said, how does these US economy benefit from them? If I’m wrong, tell me. I pretty much couldn’t care less about any company that Americans spend a bunch of money with that doesn’t help our economy.
A lot of cruise lines and merchant ships fly the liberian flag because it's known as the flag of convenience. Little to no taxes.
Where this country makes money from the cruise lines is the reservation business, travel and transportation that it takes to get to the port of call, travel agencies, etc. Depending on if they drive or fly, businesses make money from the travelers. The ports make money as there is a fee charged to each traveler for each port they visit.

Lots of good thoughts in this thread about our future as a country. It kind of reminds me of 911. Little air or motorized transportation, people walking around like they are shell shocked, not knowing what to do with themselves.
I honestly think we are going to rebound robustly once a handle is gotten on this virus. There is so much research going on now toward a cure and we are finding older drugs that have been used since the 20's to treat malaria are having a great effect on those recovering. Why NY is restricting those same drugs is uninimaginal. WTF are they thinking?
TP is returning to the shelves, ammo will come back and be cheap again. Life will return to normal until the next crisis.
I think a good lesson to be learned is to get a basic stockpile of goods that one needs to weather a crisis for a couple of months when times are good. Once you get that basic level, buy your daily needs keeping that basic level as a standard to never get below.
As an example I maintain 10K primers for pistol and rifle each. When the excess stash reaches the 10K level, another order goes into PV.
Once you get to that basic level of TP, canned goods, bullets or whatever, restock for the daily needs.

This country is resilient because we have individuals that make things happen in the face of what could be defeat for others. We will overcome this. Some will be much greater cooks, some will create babies they didn't expect, some will discover keeping the family close vs the way it has been going is a better deal. Kids might learn to entertain themselves with simpler means.
My mom would kick my sister and I out in the morning during summer school breaks. Nobody was coming back inside unless there was bleeding involved or it was lunch time.
I've been impressed with the kids using technology to create online concerts, people in neighborhoods and high rises coming out at certain times of the day to applaud the health care and other workers that are keeping things open to the extent they are.
People are bringing their instruments out on balconies to serenade their neighbors.
The greatest country in the history of the world will remain so if we don't allow it to fail.
I don't see it failing with the folks that are keeping their spirits up in the face of adversity.

shotty

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think homes with porches will come back into fashion and more people will be sitting on them. People will get closer to their neighbors. A bigger sense of community arises. That's what wish would happen, but not likely. As this crisis ends and it will. Our economy will slowly get back on track. The term the new normal is exactly spot on. It will never be as it was before all of this. I believe it will take several years to recover.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Where / how do they learn a trade? I blame my baby boomer generation with this effort that "everyone has to go to college"...what a bunch of crap. High schools no longer have shop classes (mine had both wood and metal), Dads do not work on stuff either because they don't have the skills / interest / tools & equipment or just too busy with other hobbies. In my industry if a mechanic is not making a six figure salary they are lazy.
Tulsa Tech (Vo-Tech) - My son is signed up for Electrical Trades next fall as a junior in high school. It's FREE!

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think homes with porches will come back into fashion and more people will be sitting on them. People will get closer to their neighbors. A bigger sense of community arises. That's what wish would happen, but not likely. As this crisis ends and it will. Our economy will slowly get back on track. The term the new normal is exactly spot on. It will never be as it was before all of this. I believe it will take several years to recover.
I think social distancing will drive people farther apart not closer.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It depends on the number of deaths. Death and the realization of our vulnerability has a profound effect on people. Perhaps if only moderate numbers of people die, we will see greater demands that government protect us and the "dystopian now" will continue....but there is a tipping point beyond which so many have died that people turn to traditional values including self-reliance, strengthening of family units and communities, and faith.
Different people have different "tipping points" so we may see mixed results in terms of these life values.

Latest posts

Top Bottom