What’s Your Opinion on How Different The US Will Be After Covid 19

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Healthcare will change for the worse-more video visits, people are going to go bankrupt since they've been laid off of companies that will never open their doors again and prices of homes will plummet. Airlines will belly up and not recover, the cruise industry will have their profits dramatically reduced=who wants to go on a 7 day cruise that lasts a month? Speaking of cruise industry, why haven't' the global warming crowd railed against the cruise industry? They are absolutely unnecessary, they pollute, destroy the environment and in general extremely wasteful with nearly everything they use. I've often wondered why no one complains about cruise ships.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Where / how do they learn a trade? I blame my baby boomer generation with this effort that "everyone has to go to college"...what a bunch of crap. High schools no longer have shop classes (mine had both wood and metal), Dads do not work on stuff either because they don't have the skills / interest / tools & equipment or just too busy with other hobbies. In my industry if a mechanic is not making a six figure salary they are lazy.

How do they learn a trade? Much of those vocational types of classes of old have been taken over by either the community college or the Vo-Tech System or a triad of high school, Vo-tech, and community college that often applies dual credit to classes in Oklahoma. The world of education has changed, and overall, I would say for the better.

Back in the 70's, 80's and 90's, the average Joe could work on his own car. Not so today, but mostly due to technology and the growth of same in the auto industry. When many of us Boomers were kids, technology was one of those dial phones with the lonnnnnnng cord and a toaster that did both sides of the bread at once. Not so today. Most of those 55 and over would actually equate using a computer to having learned a second language. Not so for today's kids. The old days of auto shop in high schools is gone. Now, you can go to a Vo-Tech or take concurrent classes at a community college while still in high school, at little or no cost, and learn how to work on today's autos. (For example). It's just way more technical than how we used to do a tune up and use a feeler gauge to set the points. Those were "check the plugs, points, condenser and distributor cap" days. Today, it's more about computerized diagnostics.

After I retired from the Marine Corps, I went to work and later retired from Higher Ed. I worked at both a University, where the focus was on obtaining degrees, and at community colleges, where it was pretty much evenly spilt between those seeking to fulfill basic requirements of general education in order to transfer to a 4-year school, and those seeking vocational training. Vocational training is now where they learn a trade. Mostly, again, this change has been driven by the changes in manufacturing and in technology.

Let me give you one example. OSU Tech-Okmulgee: One of the best places to learn to work on things like Toyotas, Rolex and other high end watches, and aerospace instruments. Amazing technology there. Computer driven, to a large degree. No feeler gauges.

Sgt Dog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sadly, I don't see any of those things changing to a great degree. I do think the .gov will 'stockpile' more supplies. And there will be some companies that get super rich from it. Did you know our government and many others around the world stockpiled MILLIONS of doses of Tamiflu? You know, that med that was only proven to reduce the LENGTH of the flu illness by a day or so? And never really shown to help symptoms or reduce mortality? Yeah... at $150 per course of treatment. We paid for that.

As for all the rest, if you think the private healthcare companies are going to keep more people employed once numbers get back down to normal, you're wrong. They will cut back to skeleton staff just like before. And the .gov will always be there to bail us out when things get tough. To tell us what we can and can't do, to hand everyone a fat check of dollars they printed, and watch from a distance as inflation and the national debt goes up.

Maybe I'm wrong. Hope so... but we'll see.
I'm a skeptic so I agree.
Will America emerge changed? What’s your prediction?

I predict we’ll go right back to stocking shelves with goods made in China.

Nancy has already suggested an investigation, so that prediction is not fair.

Bad guys will still be bad guys and good people will still be by-in-large good people.

But the proportions will continue to shift because the greatest factory producing good people, the strong family unit, will continue to decline.

And the same decline will still be sponsored by the same people.

Those championing values and a return of the primacy of History Departments over the Sociology Departments in academia will still be characterized as reactionary,

While those insisting on “change for change sake”, and at lightyear-speed, will still be characterized as progressive.

The rural areas will lag behind the urban areas but in a good way.

The news media will continue its decline into partisanship.

Gun control will eventually prevail and holdouts like us will be demonized for the stockpiles we possess in sensationalized media reports once real "infringement" begins in earnest.

Those "infringing" on constitutional rights will still pose in front of the press professing concern for Americans rather than being charged with violating the constitution as they should be.

Violent crime statistics and curves will escalation.

People will resume their skepticism regarding religion while the religious resume their concern for the skeptical.

Character and values will speed up their fragmentation.

Globalist will remain globalists while Nationalist will still be characterized as xenophobes.

People who once embraced Trump prior to his presidency will again renew their attacks which began before inauguration - and do so with vigor.

Americans will return to consumerism and pop-culture obsession, failing to differentiate that from the positive history of Western Civilization.

Migration of Historic Proportions will continue due the population explosions in unstable regions and continue it’s pressure on the West and continue changing it forever.

And we’ll continue seeing ourselves as ‘victims’ or ‘oppressors’ depending on which side of the political spectrum we reside. Unfortunately we'll do that rather than defending our borders as a justifiable right to preservation.

The process of Entropy will continue but not in the sense of Energy, but in the sense of a fragmented Human Spirit and what we understand (or don't understant) about freedom.

In other words, we’ll pick up where we left off.

We will not have a Chautauqua-styled renewal of intellect, discourse and critical thinking.

Democracies will continue decline as it's main prerequisite, a Godly or virtuous people, continue to diminish

And because of this governments will claim more power and authority because these will be necessary to maintain order.

You could say I’m the opposite of the optimistic Mr Trump. But the good news is I could be wrong. Wee could change all of this. If indeed a Crisis Should Never Be Wasted, we could decide not to waste this one and use it as a starting point and and an opportunity to demonstrate we actually have the WILL to fight back and quit retreating.

harley128

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Healthcare will change for the worse-more video visits, people are going to go bankrupt since they've been laid off of companies that will never open their doors again and prices of homes will plummet. Airlines will belly up and not recover, the cruise industry will have their profits dramatically reduced=who wants to go on a 7 day cruise that lasts a month? Speaking of cruise industry, why haven't' the global warming crowd railed against the cruise industry? They are absolutely unnecessary, they pollute, destroy the environment and in general extremely wasteful with nearly everything they use. I've often wondered why no one complains about cruise ships.
have you ever taken a cruise? you might like it

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do most of you realize how much that is made in the good old USA is made by "our" compnies that are owned by investors and businessmen in China? Between China and many other countries, we have sold out a lot of American businesses. Everything from aircraft engines to movies to the Budweiser beer we drink, all owned by forign companies.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
have you ever taken a cruise? you might like it
Yes I have, around seven if I'm not mistaken. Toward the last out of Galveston I and other passengers noted that they were serving disguised leftovers and one coming from Seward AK served eye of round and told us it was Filet. We knew when it couldn't be cut that it was a lesser grade of beef. We did have some good cruises though, Celebrity was among the top of my list. But as I indicated in my earlier post, a cruise is not a necessity.

James Abram

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I heard the other day that some (could’ve been all) these cruise companies aren’t even US taxpayers. That being said, how does these US economy benefit from them? If I’m wrong, tell me. I pretty much couldn’t care less about any company that Americans spend a bunch of money with that doesn’t help our economy.

Actually the cruise industry is responsible for more than $30 Billion in influx to the US economy, from the port taxes they pay, the fuel and supplies they buy, as well as the thousands of US citizens that are employed by the companies that service them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Top Bottom