What about your BUG?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soulman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you are involved in a concealed carry shoot, do they take all guns you have on you at the time (ie backup gun)?

For example, two pistols, but only pistol A is used. Do they take pistol B too?

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you are involved in a concealed carry shoot, do they take all guns you have on you at the time (ie backup gun)?

And along that same line, many of us own pistols purchased thru private sale, inheritance, etc. Would we get those back or would we need to show proof of ownership?

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

While I have never come across this issue except in a shooting by a uniformed LEO, I cannot see where the officers would want the responsiblity of care for another gun if it was not used in the incident. You can assume you would be without the pistol for the duration of your contact with the police.

That said, I know of one incident where a ccw holder ran out of ammo after incapacitating the suspect and drew his backup but didn't fire it, and thus both guns were taken for examination because of the volume of shots fired and the lack of clarity as to whether the backup was used.

Despite all of this as it is only based upon my experience, HAVE MORE GUNS AVAILABLE. You never know.

Michael Brown

Soulman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
While I have never come across this issue except in a shooting by a uniformed LEO, I cannot see where the officers would want the responsiblity of care for another gun if it was not used in the incident. You can assume you would be without the pistol for the duration of your contact with the police.

That said, I know of one incident where a ccw holder ran out of ammo after incapacitating the suspect and drew his backup but didn't fire it, and thus both guns were taken for examination because of the volume of shots fired and the lack of clarity as to whether the backup was used.

Despite all of this as it is only based upon my experience, HAVE MORE GUNS AVAILABLE. You never know.

Michael Brown

Thanks Mike. I was hoping you would weigh in on this one. It just randomly popped into my head this morning. Always heard that a reload is great and a second gun is even better, but I didn't know if you lost both guns if one was never drawn/used.

It would certainly suck if I lost my primary (not as much as it would suck losing my life), but it would majorly suck if I lost my only other concealed carry worthy pistol that I tote as a backup.

Would everyone think a picture of a note card with the serial number, the gun itself, and my DL or CCL all in one photo would be enough proof of ownership? I figure if that would work, I could keep the paper copies in my gun safe and a digital version on a thumb drive that rides on my key chain.

Burk Cornelius

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Would everyone think a picture of a note card with the serial number, the gun itself, and my DL or CCL all in one photo would be enough proof of ownership? I figure if that would work, I could keep the paper copies in my gun safe and a digital version on a thumb drive that rides on my key chain.

I started a thread a few weeks ago with this same question. You might check it out for some good ideas on proof of ownership.

Thread on Proof of Ownership

Latest posts

Top Bottom