What age were you when you started loosing your hearing?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sedona

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Agree with 65ny &emapples about having problems focusing on a sound.If I am watching tv and someone gets ice out of the freezer 3 rooms away I go deaf to all other sounds.Or if I am on the phone and someone in the room starts talking I can't understand either.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm 55 and I know I had some hearing loss in my early '30s. Had a hearing test at work and they noted it then.

Mine came mostly from lot's of shooting without earpro and working in a machine shop with very large machines. Even though I did wear earpro and plugs most of the time at work, it's those times I didn't that got mine really going. The race cars, motorcycles and concerts didn't help either. I was tested somewhat recently and they said I'm a candidate for an implant in my left ear. I haven't pursued that because I have something going on with my sinuses and that's affecting my hearing. I need to get off my butt and see a ENT doc, I think I need tubes put in as my ears constantly have popping and are plugging up from the inside. Only after I'm confident my ears are clear and have a good hearing test will I consider surgery.

Like mentioned it's very frustrating to actually hear someone talking to you just fine but can't make out what they are saying due to background sounds. I constantly tell my wife she needs to speak clearer not louder. I can hear her just fine :pissed:

Other things are just gone. I have a couple of ringtones on my phone that I can't hear at all. Nothing, zero, nada. Silent. If it's in the vicinity of that higher frequency I do have real issues.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Agree with 65ny &emapples about having problems focusing on a sound.If I am watching tv and someone gets ice out of the freezer 3 rooms away I go deaf to all other sounds.Or if I am on the phone and someone in the room starts talking I can't understand either.

Welcome to frustration city!

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Hole in left eardrum since I was a kid. Bouts of BPV in the right ear and constant tinnitus. I haven't heard $h!t for years!

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lost the hearing in my right ear back when i was 5 y/o due to to much pressure from the fever i had with the mumps on the right side. Now it depends on who you ask on my left ear, wife says i'm totally deaf but it is only when she opens her mouth to say something to me.

sedona

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I did quail and dove hunt for about 20 years, and didn't use hearing protection while hunting like most people at the time.I also worked around large tonnage chillers for 30 years and I did use hearing protection at work.Guess I will just get use to it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom