What almost got you?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It happened on my checkout dive, first time out of the pool. My octopus got caught behind my tank, and my "buddy" swam off to play with his friend. I actually turned to the surface, and then heard a voice in my head say "Don't do that, you'll die." Then I saw my "buddy" swam to him and ripped the regulator out of his mouth.

As a former PADI instructor, I would have to either call BS or say you had an impossibly lousy instructor and dive master during your "checkout dive".

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You're welcome to call me a liar if you wish, but that's exactly the way it happened.
Ok, if you say so. But normal instructors don't let dive buddies swim off from the group. And you should have been no more than 30 ft. in depth which, as a part of your training, was shallow enough for you to do an emergency out-of-air ascent. An instructor worth his salt would been aware and would have either slowed your ascent and/or followed you to the surface. The divemaster would have stayed with the group. Your training should have also included finding your octopus by grabbing it from the primary regulator and following the hose with your hand to the other regulator. So I'm guessing you failed your checkout dive.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Have you seen any videos of bone head instructors?
I have seen plenty and have personally witnessed a few that should not be teaching anything.

The reason you take lessons is to learn things and with poor instructions you will not learn correctly.

No reason to call BS on a story unless you were there and witnessed it.
All through my younger life I was called a liar and treated by my father as such.

I was not a liar and what almost killed me was him.
More than 1 time.
Choked out and left to die while the rest of the family did nothing. Multiple times.
That was his go to is to just walk up to you for no real reason and hands around the throat until you pass the F out.
Then drop you to the ground if you wake up crying you get the boot treatment.
Kicked in the head, chest arms and back with pointy cowboy boots until you just quit making noise and are a bloody mess.
Yea again my dear old dad.

Found out much later in my years my sister made up lies that i was beating on her and my younger sister.
I never touched them much less spoke to any of them.

Now I was swept out into the ocean in Texas by a rip tide or something.
I was so far out that the big grey ship further out was closer than the shore.
Took me over 2 hours to swim back and you had to time when to swim and when to stop swimming. I was 14.

I thought of swimming to the ship and then thought I would probably get really close and they it would leave and never see me.
Then I would have to swim to shore 2x as far :)
When I got back to shore my mom asked where I was and I pointed at the ship and said between here and there.

I was called a liar.
Yea what else is new.
I was not scared of dying and never thought about sharks.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am probably a bit touchy on the BS or Ok, if you say so.. comment.
You did not out and out call him a liar.. Sorry @KOPBET

I will play nicer.

My 6000 lb Van popped out of park in my steep driveway and ran me over as I was trying to stick the shifter back in park.
I thought I was going to die right there in my yard by a head popped like a grape.

Van front tire snatched my foot and skidded it down the driveway like a chock block that was slippin.
Then the tire finally got on the foot and pulled me to the ground and ran me over from my foot down my leg and dowwn my ribs and neck and then the front tire rolled over my head and tore a bit of my ear.
I just knew my head was going to pop and I would be dead.

Nope. No internal injuries No broken bones.
Just lost skin and meat and a torn ear.
I did have tire marks on my face and body.
I will have to look for pictures.
I think they were on photo bucket which are lost.

Latest posts

Top Bottom