What Ammo in Your Carry Gun or Guns?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tkdgeek

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
G,R,G,R...etc. Yeah I'm wrong to load every other bullet in one mag but one penetrates, one tears stuff up and tests show it penetrates. Tests are test so that why there are also GoldDots, lol.
Gold Dot 124 +p
Ruger ARX 80 +p (that one the comes through like a little blender
Do the same for my 9mm HK and the 45. The ARX def looks like a little blender on the fat 45's. LOL.
Looked at the new Federal Defense cause who doesn't want three separating terminal pieces and a penetrating core (over) but my octa barrels don't care so much for lead I'm told so I don't it.

emapples

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, what ammo do you have for your carry gun or guns? I have Speer Gold Dot 124gr +P in my mags for my Glock 43X, Walther PPS M2 and Sig M11 A1 as of now. Before that, I had Federal HST in the 124 gr +P flavor. I buy one or the other every now and then, depending on price. In my S&W 340PD, I've got Fed 158 Gr LSWCHP.
Hornaday Critical Defense, have a box in every caliber. 9, 40, 45, 357. Still have the same box of each since I really don’t shoot that many people :). I’ve a shot little of each for function tests but still have the original boxes I purchased a few years ago.

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Somebody on here recommended the Remington Gold Dot. I just went to WalMart and bought some. I've never tested it in ballistic gelatin, but I suspect it'll blow a hole in a man big enough to throw a cat through.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Druryj, you ever try out the Underwood ammo yet? I saw the specs and looked at the gel tests so I got some .38 standard pressure for my older snubbies. Haven't shot them yet though. I'm concerned that even though it's standard pressure, the muzzle energy advertised is about 100lbs greater than the Speer GD I usually carry, so I'm wondering how bad the recoil/muzzle flash would be and if my model 60 or older 640 can take it.

The standard pressure is what you need to look at. As long as it is within that perimeter you are good. 100 ft per second more speed does not mean unsafe for your pistol.
Let me back that up a little, as long as your gun is operating within acceptable tolerances!! If it is loose get it fixed .................OK got my smart ass comment out of the way!! :cool: And the lawyer types will leave me be!!
I load LSWCHP in my 38's and You would be surprised at the drastic FPS changes you get powder to powder within pressure tolerances .
If you do not reload you may want to look up a free PDF for Lee's loading manual. It can really help understanding all the differing info you run into out here.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm with aarond. My magazines are primarily loaded with ball ammo. My concession to currency is the final two rounds in each magazine are Hydra Shok 124 gr. If my original thinking proves wrong, and if I'm still in the fight after the first 7 rounds, I've got 2 bad boys to finish up with. I really hope that other guy's a bad shot.

sanjuro893

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The standard pressure is what you need to look at. As long as it is within that perimeter you are good. 100 ft per second more speed does not mean unsafe for your pistol.
Let me back that up a little, as long as your gun is operating within acceptable tolerances!! If it is loose get it fixed .................OK got my smart ass comment out of the way!! :cool: And the lawyer types will leave me be!!
I load LSWCHP in my 38's and You would be surprised at the drastic FPS changes you get powder to powder within pressure tolerances .
If you do not reload you may want to look up a free PDF for Lee's loading manual. It can really help understanding all the differing info you run into out here.

Awesome. Thanks for the help man!

EKing

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
carry ammo.jpg

My Sig 238 gets the Buffalo Bore 100 grain +p.
My LCR and NAA Black Widow get the Hornady critical defense 45 grain bullets.

Before Hornady came out with the 22 Magnum defense load, I carried Winchester 40 grain FMJ's designed for rifles. This ammo is designed for short barrel firearms.

Latest posts

Top Bottom