What animal is this?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
She didn’t get a good look at it as she was in her car and spotted it moving to the base of the tree. When she pulled over, the next time she saw it was up in the tree. At first she thought it was a cat, but the pic convinced her it was something else.

Didn’t know woodchucks could climb trees. Learn something every day.

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I guess woodchuck is proper but we called them groundhogs back when I was a kid in Kaintuck (I've heard that in some places they call them whistle pigs) and they are some mighty fine eating.

After I got them dressed my aunt would parboil them for short time (just the big older ones) then lay them whole on their backs in a baking pan and fill the chest cavity with sweet potatoes then cover with foil and bake them for 'X'.

Groundhog.jpg

Last edited:

MR.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A couple years ago I shot a groundhog /woodchuck out of a tree. They climb very well.
Until that day, I too did not know that they climbed trees.

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I actually had one in my front yard one day and I live in Ponca City. Only thing I could figure was it may have been evicted by some nearby dirt work for a new house. We have had deer, turkeys, possums, armadillos, snakes, foxes, and coons but, this was a first.

Latest posts

Top Bottom