What are good fields to get into right now?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Instrumentation and control systems tech(I&C) pays $40+ an hour, and only requires an associates degree, or 10 years previous experience in the controls field. Same with Instrumentation and electrical (I&E). Work in Power plants, refineries, chemical plants, gas compressor stations, etc.
6 figure income with all the overtime you can handle. You literally live at those places with that title. Expect call outs, 24-7, extreme temperatures from sub zero to 130+ degrees.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If going into a trade it would be as an Electrician/electrical field. If into a field with a four year degree it would be in construction management field.

I started out prior to my current career having gone through a year and a half of fire technology schooling and graduated form one of the countries best fire acadamies. I then attended OSU to get my degree in the fire technology field but realized I'm no the best math and science student. Had I stuck with the firefighting thing in Socal I could have been about 25 years in and close to retirement with a fat pension. Could have been retired at 50 with full bennies and probably bringing in well beyond $125k/year in retirement

Last edited:

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Something in the medical field.

latest

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OSU-OKC has programs working in the wind industry, which pay really good.
Young man's work for sure. Climbing those 250' towers pays well, but not all have the zero weight climbing assist. Some are one rung at a time with a safety harness that is a pain in the butt to operate.
I had to climb our stack to the 250' level once because the elevator was not operating, and it sucked. No back safety cage either. Just rungs of a steel ladder and a harness. Said they could fire me if they ever needed it done again.

ARnut

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Plumbing and electrical is something I have thought about. Anyone in here a real estate appraiser i have heard good things about that profession.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ARnut

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Plumbing and electrical is something I have thought about. Anyone in here a real estate appraiser i have heard good things about that profession.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Top Bottom