What are good fields to get into right now?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Plumbing and electrical is something I have thought about. Anyone in here a real estate appraiser i have heard good things about that profession.
It's not steady work, and doesn't have benefits unless the job has changed. Your like a private contractor.
I'd look at an hourly or salaried job for benefits and the investment opportunities through the 401K program.
I told the young guys I worked with at the power plant to invest heavily in the 401K and they would be millionaires when they retired.
Vett every companies 401K before agreeing to work for them. Some do not contribute matching funds, some contribute matching up to a certain percentage of your contributions.
OG&E basically matched 11% of our wages when I worked there. Been retired for over 3 years now, so it could have changed, but I'd bet not. They are hungry for talented, educated folks. Benefits including vacation and medical start day one.

Powerman620

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My brother in law tells me a lineman with PSO after about 5 years and little bit overtime will be in the 6 figures. I think he said around 40 an hour. They pay like 27-28 an hour right out of school. I believe OSU Okmulgee has a school? Don’t hold me to it though. The school is only 2 years.
Lineman are hard to find now. Seems some don’t want to work in conditions we work in and OT involved. Money is good, work in rain, snow, ice and heat but it is a great job. We have had openings take a month to find someone sometimes.

slas

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Still lots of IT positions open, .NET programmer and Database Administration to name a few. Requires a degree in Computing Science. Where I work they looked for a qualified Java programmer for over a year and a half. Starting pay was around 100K. Good work if you don't mind sitting on your butt all day in air conditioning....

sedona

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Physical therapy pays pretty well.The guy i went to last year had a 2 year associates degree.Wished i would have done that myself, was never a suit and tie kind of guy.

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
if the primary goal is to make money in Oklahoma then get in the oil field. Its not the only way to make good money but it is damn sure the easiest way. i have seen multiple people [including myself] go from living paycheck to paycheck to getting an oilfield related job and becoming debt free in a matter of a year or 2.

I wish i understood oklahomas biggest industry was oil & gas when i was going to school, i would have went for petroleum engineering.

Okiedog

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm sure you've figured it out by now, but anything trade related pays darn good if you're willing to work. I went thru the ind. elect. maint. program at OST (2 yrs). Out of 40 yrs in the work force, only unemployed 2 mos.

ARnut

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A lot of food for thought in here. I am just now starting to look at my options. All I know is I am burned out where I am now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Top Bottom