What are these dies-tool bits/heads? Now just a tool thread.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sherrick13

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What is this block of steel with a threaded hole in the center?

20220618_185341-2422952.jpg

20220618_185332-2422951.jpg

pistolpete95

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Great thread. My dad was a mechanic for American before he retired in the 70’s. He had all of these tools in his toolbox that I inherited. He’s been gone 10+ years now. I’ll have an occasional need for a special tool to accomplish something and I’ll talk to him “ok Bob, let’s see whatchu got”. I usually find an odd tool that he made and the job gets done. Happy Fathers Day to all.

Letfreedomring

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Really no telling. It could have been an alignment pin for some tooling or a counterweight for a bucking bar. Might find something it fits on and make a small chisel hammer or something from it.

sherrick13

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What the hell is this little thing and why does it have a bunch of smaller screw things in it?

There is a hole in the small end. The cap on the right unscrews and the bottom shows the little screw things in it.

AKmoose

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What the hell is this little thing and why does it have a bunch of smaller screw things in it?

There is a hole in the small end. The cap on the right unscrews and the bottom shows the little screw things in it.

The threaded bits look like blind hole locators, they come in different sizes and thread pitches. You have an existing structure and need to put a new panel, door, cover, etc. and no old one to match holes you'd put these in the existing hole or nutplate then locate the new panel or door and tap with a hammer then drill the hole where it left a punch mark.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The threaded bits look like blind hole locators, they come in different sizes and thread pitches. You have an existing structure and need to put a new panel, door, cover, etc. and no old one to match holes you'd put these in the existing hole or nutplate then locate the new panel or door and tap with a hammer then drill the hole where it left a punch mark.
Bingo! We have a winner!

Latest posts

Top Bottom