what are you enjoying tonight?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nothing posted here in like 3 weeks??? WTH?

Ok, I decided to take @Cohiba up and try some Evan Williams Single Barrel.

20171016_152139-XL.jpg

I haven't cracked the bottle open yet, I've been working on the Larceny this week. When did I take this picture....? I think it must have been Monday. Yeah, Monday. I'm halfway through the Larceny now, was thinking of opening up one of the Jamesons tonite... I don't know, I'm so torn... lol.

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey Brother...what do you think of Larceny? Almost bought a bottle Wednesday until my wife surprised me with a bottle of Jack Daniels Single Barrel Select.

I still love George Dickel #12, but Heaven Hill Distillery is making me a fan of their products....like....Evan Williams SB and even their product Larceny. Try their McKenna 10yr. old and tell me what you think.

DON'T hold back, lay it on the line.....give us a mini review of EWSB...for the price AND being a single barrel I feel you can't go wrong with EWSB...but that's just my 2 cents.

Heaven Hill Products:
http://heavenhilldistillery.com/our-brands.php

Ya' Know....I think it's been long over due for American whiskey and bourbon to be "popular" again AND I believe it will be short lived and peoples taste will change to something else but I do like ALL the new products being produced.

There is a good side and a bad side to a "Fad-ish" affair toward a product. It brings it to the limelight and draws great attention to it. On the down side it makes it mass produced to meet the public demand, can cause shortages, and price to escalate.

The down side I see with American whiskey and bourbon is the mass....crank it out....production. American whiskey and bourbon is CRAFTED and needs to age. Now days very few bottles place on the label the age, lots of reviewers(because they're not sure what it is) and even distillers don't mention age anymore. They have to crank it out or the next distiller will replace them. They are starting to experiment with flavoring and smaller barrels to quicken maturity.

It reminds me of back in the early 1990's with cigars and even Cuban cigars...then Rush Limbaugh would talk about Cuba and the Cuban cigars he smoked. Every time he discussed cigars I would yell at my truck radio for him NOT TO DO THAT!!!!! It drove the price and demand of cigars skyrocketing ...and even Cuban cigars through the roof. It ruined my little secret enjoyment of Cuban and non-Cuban cigars so much that people thought I was part of the fad or new movement of cigars back then.....ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!:buttkick:

Let's hope this mini-boom or new found popularity won't hurt our enjoyment...It's already driven prices and demand up......just my 2 cents.

Cheers::sunbath:

D. Hargrove

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Cigars and Bourbon are a mainstay in this 'ol house of mine, been that way from since the late 80's. So much so in fact that my Son now has a humidor full of Arturo Fuente Curly head Deluxe from JR Cigars and several bottles of 'sipin whisky. He is youngish, so he still considers Makers Mark the best, but he is expanding his knowledge every time we get together. Last weekend we sampled a bit of Knob Creek while in Tennessee. Gotta pass the love for the finer things in life on....

soonerwings

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The down side I see with American whiskey and bourbon is the mass....crank it out....production. American whiskey and bourbon is CRAFTED and needs to age. Now days very few bottles place on the label the age, lots of reviewers(because they're not sure what it is) and even distillers don't mention age anymore. They have to crank it out or the next distiller will replace them. They are starting to experiment with flavoring and smaller barrels to quicken maturity.

To be fair, it’s tough for bourbon manufacturers to place age statements on their product and compete with Scotch whiskeys labeled as 12+ years. Because of climate differences between Kentucky and Scotland, bourbon is “breathed” in and out of the barrels more and requires less time to properly age than Scotch. A bourbon aged 7-9 years is every bit as smooth as a 12 year old Scotch bit the average Joe is gonna be wowed by that big number on the Scotch label.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
^^^ True....... But have you noticed a lot of bourbons and whiskey have dropped the age statement.... heck even a few have lowered their proof & ABV in secret. Look what Makers Mark did a few years back.....and fans of MM raised Holy Hell.

If I'm getting an 10 year old bottle of American whiskey or bourbon ....I want it to be that. Bottled In Bond assures what's in the bottle....maybe the best government control or involvement ....who knows??

Latest posts

Top Bottom