what are you enjoying tonight?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Whisky sour is a great drink. I think you put your recipe up once.
If you could do it again, it would be appreciated.

Simple stuff.

For my sweet & sour mix, we just juice up lemons and limes, about equal amounts, strain, strain, strain, strain (this is a pain), and strain again, then we mix 1:1 or 2:1 water to juice (seasonal difference in the fruit, strength of flavor, etc.), then we add Splenda to taste - usually about 2-3 cups per half gallon. Sugar is the traditional, of course, but I'm fat enough and prefer to have my calories in the whiskey. ;)

Or if you meant the drink itself, I just pour enough whiskey over ice, a dash or two of bitters and a couple ounces of the above mix. It's 100% just according to taste. I make mine with a good rye as much as possible - Woodford is great, but I really like them with Sazerac. My wife says I make them way too strong, which I can see - I'm probably at about 2:1, sometimes maybe even 3:1 on the whiskey-to-sour ratio. Sometimes I'll throw in a couple maraschinos and a teaspoon of their juice if I want to brighten it up a bit. But the bitters is important... it changes the whole complexity of the drink immensely. Wellers 107 makes a darned good whiskey sour, and being stronger goes a lot farther, too. Evan Williams and Elijah Craig, also Dickel's rye like I had the other night... pretty much ANY decent whiskey, but I haven't done it with standard JD or Jim Beam, as I don't care for those too much.

And yeah, I generally use whisk(e)y for mixed drinks, true whisky is usually just neat - it's too damned expensive to mix! And too good! lol

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Picked up some Wild Turkey 101 rye the other day, in addition to more Elijah Craig and Sazerac. I have never been huge Wild Turkey fan, but I was looking for another rye to try that wasn't an arm and a leg - those things are getting to be like single malt, when it comes to the pocketbook!

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Picked up some Wild Turkey 101 rye the other day, in addition to more Elijah Craig and Sazerac. I have never been huge Wild Turkey fan, but I was looking for another rye to try that wasn't an arm and a leg - those things are getting to be like single malt, when it comes to the pocketbook!
Try Rittenhouse Rye BIB, $18 and very tasty.

Hawgman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I've seen the 80 proof Turkey Rye, where did you get the 101 Proof? Been wanting to try it but haven't noticed it anywhere. Thanks.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just at my local liquor store in Bartlesville. I'll check it when I get home to make sure I didn't misspeak, but I'm pretty sure I saw 50.5% on the label.

How did you like the 80 proof? I asked the owner on my way out how it was he he said "it was okay". He loves to talk bourbon and rye, so that's damning with faint praise from him. lol. If I'd asked him before I paid, I'd have picked up something else... like another bottle of Sazerac, which is my favorite!

Latest posts

Top Bottom