What are you guys doing to control ants this year?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alank2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've put out 6 of those Terro green baits a couple of weeks ago after they decided to find their way into my kitchen and sink. That has given them something to munch on outside, but I keep seeing more and more of them lately anyway. I put down some insecticide on the lawn (Sevin?) maybe 1 month or 2 ago as well.

What are you guys doing to keep them at bay?

TinkerTanker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been using some stuff called Viper that you mix with water and then I spray the sides of the house with it. Where do you spray TinkerTanker?
I spray anywhere I see them first, i.e. around the boat and riding mower and any ant hills (haven't had hills in a long time), and the wood pile, then I spray around the rocks and mulch we have for landscaping, lastly all around the perimeter of the house.
Termador says to lay it on really thick but I've found that spraying it like you would any bug poison works just as well. Except for mulch and the woodpile. I soak those down well to deter termites too.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I treat individual fire ant beds with Tempo dust. I generally only have a couple or three pop up after every rain, and after treatment, I don’t have any beds until it rains again.

skyhawk1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I spray anywhere I see them first, i.e. around the boat and riding mower and any ant hills (haven't had hills in a long time), and the wood pile, then I spray around the rocks and mulch we have for landscaping, lastly all around the perimeter of the house.
Termador says to lay it on really thick but I've found that spraying it like you would any bug poison works just as well. Except for mulch and the woodpile. I soak those down well to deter termites too.
Don't know where you use your wood from woodpile but if sprayed with chemicals you may get a small amount of toxic fumes of the poison even months down the road, just a thought.

Lineman

5HCattle Co - Josh
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Red diesel and a match works great but the grass hates it!
I use granules, usually whatever the hardware store has in stock locally. Not sure of the brand this year, seems like they change brands every year but same stuff in the bags. Works good, only have to spread it once usually, this year probably going to have to do it again when it get even hotter. Spiders and ants are terrible this year.

TinkerTanker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't know where you use your wood from woodpile but if sprayed with chemicals you may get a small amount of toxic fumes of the poison even months down the road, just a thought.
My wood goes in the fireplace. Termador doesn't cause problems.

Red diesel and a match works great but the grass hates it!
I use granules, usually whatever the hardware store has in stock locally. Not sure of the brand this year, seems like they change brands every year but same stuff in the bags. Works good, only have to spread it once usually, this year probably going to have to do it again when it get even hotter. Spiders and ants are terrible this year.
For spiders I use "Demon WP"

Latest posts

Top Bottom