What are your favorite drills to do with your carry gun?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm starting a new drill; I'm calling it the Dicken Drill in honor of the guy who nailed the scum in the mall.

2/3rds IPSC target or A-zone at 40 yards, draw and fire 10 shots in 15 seconds from concealment, 5 hits to pass.

I don't know how many hits Dicken managed when he shot the bastard, but I figure 5 hits is a good baseline anyway.
I read he got 8 of 10.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I'm starting a new drill; I'm calling it the Dicken Drill in honor of the guy who nailed the scum in the mall.

2/3rds IPSC target or A-zone at 40 yards, draw and fire 10 shots in 15 seconds from concealment, 5 hits to pass.

I don't know how many hits Dicken managed when he shot the bastard, but I figure 5 hits is a good baseline anyway.

ETA: Just informed that he scored 8 hits, so 8 to pass. I think a lot of people would have a hard time with this one - it's asking a lot.

Also, it should be practiced cold. No warm up.
C102E533-8AD0-410B-A88E-E6F26F41034D.jpeg

Rick Terhune

Hawkeye68
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Gun site School Drill. I use it as a baseline across all my carry guns. Or at least the guns I think I want to carry.
Does not always work out the way I thought. So it is a good test of basic skills across different platforms.
Works well when you want to try different holster options also.
Lost 30 pounds and 4 inches off my waist in the last 7 months so appendix carry is now a viable option.
Need to go and work the drills again when it cools a bit just to see the time differentials.

Lewis F Jones

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Our club did a simulation of the Dickens drill last week but from a seated position (Chair) and it was an eye opener for most of us. The senior guys (those who have been with the group for a while) did well and the newer guys showed it. All in all, our organizer mixes it up every week with different scenarios and I find that to be a real test of how I respond. Starting with Accuracy exercises and then progressing to Technique along with me not knowing what we'll be doing until we arrive at the range, I believe sharpens us as much as targets that don't shoot back at us can be sharpened.

ricco

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Depends

I've been going to the range about once a week for a little over a year just work on fundamentals. If I do well I'm happy, if I do poorly, oh well, there's always next week.

Practice for self defense is more important so my practice is an attempt to replicate a self defense encounter, again SELF defense (and those very, very few that I'm willing to bleed for), I am not a white knight so white knight practice doesn't concern or interest me.

I watched this video when it first hit YouTube and since I already had airsoft and a BOB dummy I've incorporated this into my SELF defense practice. Should you decide to practice as is shown here always wear eye protection and keep your mouth closed, those little plastic BB's will chip teeth and will sometimes break skin.

The great things about this type of practice is that allows you do things that you could never do safely live fire but are the things that should be practiced for self defense. You can practice anytime you want. It costs pennies on the dollar compared to live fire. While not shown here practice can be done safely from all angles, just don't hit the lights on the ceiling. And yeah, it is kind of a workout when add empty hand into the practice.

If you take the self defense stuff seriously you can watch real life bad guy vs good guy videos and work it out with type of practice.

Latest posts

Top Bottom