What brass?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Starline brass really isn't that good. I have better luck with Winchester and Federal. Starline does make brass for a number of calibers otherwise unavailable which makes it useful in that case.

In pistol standard line brass by the majors (Winchester, Remington, Federal, PMC, Speer, etc) seems to be the longest lived. Their low line offerings such as Blazer Brass isn't so good. I leave AMERC on the ground anytime I find it.

When I am trying to squeeze the most accuracy out of a load, I choose one brand only of ammo and pick cases with the same number of firings. Most of the time mixed pistol brass is just fine.

In rifle Lapua and Norma are regarded by many as the best. For precision I choose a major brand and carefully leave the lot togather to keep the number of firings the same.

Larry Morgan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guess I'll throw in a contrasting opinion. Some of my smallest groups have been shot with virgin Winchester brass. Mind you that was fully prepped (sized, trimmed, chamfered, etc). I also have shot the crap out of a batch of black hills brass I saved. I have heard rumors that it is made by Winchester as well.

I have not tried Lapua, but it's pretty much accepted to be some of the best.

milsurp2.0

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A guy on gunboards took a .308 case and reloaded it at the range over a hundred times and the case is still fine. As far as accuracy, it's the bullet, barrel and shooter habits. Weather notwithstanding.

Craig3

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
223- LC, FC, PMC, WCC are what I use in ar15s and a rem700.
243- RP, WIN
25-06
270wsm
7mm
30-06- WIN, FED, RP
380acp
40s&w- FED, WIN
44mag-Starline
45acp- WIN, FED

I use starline for revolvers bc ive had great results and I can keep track of it easily.
Semi auto pistols I have bought and pick(ed) up fired brass at the range but mainly use Winchester, federal is my second choice, followed by RP and Speer.
For rifle it's pretty much the same, once fired and range pick ups for hunting, paper punching, and plates. I do have some lapua for my 308.

Its my practice and opinion that you shouldn't separate by headstamps bc of internal volume differences. If you are using mixed brass dont load them quite as hot. Just my $0.02

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
for 223, 45acp, and 9mm what ever range pickup I can get. For my 308, which is for hunting and target shooting, I use LC11, because I got 1400 pieces for $50. for 7mm rem mag and my grandson's 243 I use norma and hornady brass I got once fired off gunbroker.
Find an old washer and build your own brass tumbler with stainless steel pins. you can spend hours making a cylinder to tumble the brass in, or buy apple juice in a round jug that had flat sides, sam's sells it in 2 packs. I use the jug about 10 times.
upload_2016-3-20_10-23-26.png

Latest posts

Top Bottom