What Can Be Done To Curb The Wild Hog Population?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Kill them all. I think you're wrong when anyone says, they can't be eliminated only controlled. I call BULL! Not a single thing that big can't be shot, poisoned or trapped out of existence.
Put a high bounty and they are gone. Fine anyone protecting them. Stop controlled hunts that encourage them.
Open season, all year, no license, no tag on killing them. Anyone holding (as if you could) and raising them get nailed in the pocketbook and jail time.
I hate these things and have killed a few and hope to kill a lot more.

Stop pussyfootin' around the Hog Question and tell us how you really feel.

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This may sound stupid but, I honestly don't think Texas or any other state wants to get rid of all of them! If they did, all of these farmers and ranchers would stop whining about it, and let responsible hunters onto their land to help eradicate them...

I have three customers that live in Texas, that I have built rifles for, and just these 3 guys alone, kill over 1,200 hogs a year and have for the past 5 years! They bait out in the wide open with beer corn, and pick'em off at ranges from 600-1,500 yds.! I watched a video of these guys shoot 62 hogs in one afternoon, and shoot one after another, as they came into the bait...

Hogs can be eliminated, IF the farmers and ranchers will just give permission for shooters to do so...

DEER 24/7

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Groups like that are the problem, and they don't want there to ever be a "solution". THHA is just worried this poison will eliminate their fun.

I bet you won't hear farmer/rancher groups saying anything negative about a possible "cure" for the hog problem.
I bet there isn't many if any farmers and ranchers that belong this group.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This may sound stupid but, I honestly don't think Texas or any other state wants to get rid of all of them! If they did, all of these farmers and ranchers would stop whining about it, and let responsible hunters onto their land to help eradicate them...

I have three customers that live in Texas, that I have built rifles for, and just these 3 guys alone, kill over 1,200 hogs a year and have for the past 5 years! They bait out in the wide open with beer corn, and pick'em off at ranges from 600-1,500 yds.! I watched a video of these guys shoot 62 hogs in one afternoon, and shoot one after another, as they came into the bait...

Hogs can be eliminated, IF the farmers and ranchers will just give permission for shooters to do so...

You make it sound so simple, but from someone who has personally been dealing with hogs for the last 20 years, it's not. In certain parts of the state and in certain situations, picking off hogs long range as the come to bait might work, but in most of Texas, the pig population has received an education on how to survive from the people who are members of the Texas Hog Hunters Assn.:wink2:

I know a lot of people that want hogs gone, but I don't know ANYONE that will just let random people come onto their places to "shoot" pigs. In my area of east Texas, pigs are nomadic, so hunting them is REALLY difficult. If you have a high fence place where their movements can be predicted/regulated, having someone come in to shoot them might work, but pigs in the wild are way to unpredictable.

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just like any pest management an integrated approach is best. Proper, and I emphasize proper, trapping along with aerial gunning will absolutely put a serious hurt on a hog population locally. This hog poison will just be one more tool managers can use to control the hogs effectively.

Any form of "sport shooting" will never make any real difference in the hog population.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Texas has a new plan for its 2.5 million feral hogs: total annihilation.

Sid Miller, the state's agriculture commissioner, just approved a pesticide — called "Kaput Feral Hog Lure" — for statewide use.

"The 'hog apocalypse' may finally be on the horizon," Miller said in a statement on Tuesday.

SEE ALSO: First human-pig chimeras created, sparking hopes for transplantable organs — and debate

"This solution is long overdue," he added. "Wild hogs have caused extensive damage to Texas lands and loss of income for many, many years."

Texas's agriculture commission estimates that feral hogs cause $52 million in damage each year to agricultural businesses by tearing up crops and pastures, knocking down fences and ruining equipment.

The so-called hog lure is derived from warfarin, a blood-thinning agent that's also used to kill rats and mice in homes and buildings. Animals don't die immediately from eating the odorless, tasteless chemical. That would be too kind. Instead, they keep eating it until the anti-clotting properties cause them to bleed to death internally.

This week, Miller approved a rule change in the Texas Administrative Code that allows landowners and agricultural producers to use Kaput — essentially warfarin-laced pellets — to keep feral hogs off their property.

Humans take warfarin in low doses for heart issues.

Latest posts

Top Bottom