What Can Be Done To Curb The Wild Hog Population?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Humans take warfarin in low doses for heart issues.
Yes, but given that the intent here is to kill, the dose will be higher.

The problem with poison is that it's indiscriminate; it'll kill anything that eats it, not just the target species. It'll also poison anything that scavenges the carcass.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Yes, but given that the intent here is to kill, the dose will be higher.

The problem with poison is that it's indiscriminate; it'll kill anything that eats it, not just the target species. It'll also poison anything that scavenges the carcass.

I haven't seen any studies on secondary poisoning from warfarin on hogs. It accumulates in the liver IIRC and dosages that kill rodents are so small that it generally does nothing to dogs or cats who eat them, which eats the whole rodent. Docs fill us in?

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I haven't seen any studies on secondary poisoning from warfarin on hogs. It accumulates in the liver IIRC and dosages that kill rodents are so small that it generally does nothing to dogs or cats who eat them, which eats the whole rodent. Docs fill us in?

I know nothing about poisons so this is just an observation or a guess. Isnt a 40lb dog eating a 3oz rodent that has died of poison different than a 200lb pig that has died from poison being eaten by a bald eagle or the family dog that may weigh 10lbs?

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
I know nothing about poisons so this is just an observation or a guess. Isnt a 40lb dog eating a 3oz rodent that has died of poison different than a 200lb pig that has died from poison being eaten by a bald eagle or the family dog that may weigh 10lbs?

I would think so. Since the entire rodent is consumed, we the know the poison is in the dog/cat/coyote that ate the rodent, but on the hog, I'm not sure where the poison is located. A coyote that eats an entire butt cheek may or may not be exposed, I don't know where the poison resides in the carcass.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
I have been reading about this poisoning on other forums and read somewhere that you would have to eat two pounds of the hogs liver to equal a normal dose of the Waifarin for a human.

I am about to start my war on hogs. I looked at a thousand acre area yesterday that has a lot of hog activity on it. The owner wants us to hunt and trap to work towards removing them from the property.

There is an existing cattle pen we are going to set up as a corral trap and probably try some C traps as well as hunting them.

Has anyone tried the heart shaped traps recommended by the ODWC?

Last edited:

MadDogs

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
We need to be more tolerant and allow more Muslim refugees in. If we do that, the feral hog population will drop because areas of the world where there are a lot of Muslims don't have wild pig issues. So ... we need to open our land up to allow more Muslims in ... and Jews too. They don't have a lot of issues with pigs in Israel or Brentwood. Need more Muslims and more Jews.

Problem solved.

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would think so. Since the entire rodent is consumed, we the know the poison is in the dog/cat/coyote that ate the rodent, but on the hog, I'm not sure where the poison is located. A coyote that eats an entire butt cheek may or may not be exposed, I don't know where the poison resides in the carcass.

I simply dont know. It still scares me. Especially since it wont get rid of them.

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been reading about this poisoning on other forums and read somewhere that you would have to eat two pounds of the hogs liver to equal a normal dose of the Waifarin for a human.

I am about to start my war on hogs. I looked at a thousand acre area yesterday that has a lot of hog activity on it. The owner wants us to hunt and trap to work towards removing them from the property.

There is an existing cattle pen we are going to set up as a corral trap and probably try some C traps as well as hunting them.

Has anyone tried the heart shaped traps recommended by the ODWC?

Ive seen a few used. Helped a few friends put some up against my better judgement. They would catch a few small ones but as soon as one of any size gets in it its game over.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
Ive seen a few used. Helped a few friends put some up against my better judgement. They would catch a few small ones but as soon as one of any size gets in it its game over.
We won't try that trap then.

The cattle pen is square so I plan on rounding the corners or putting hog panels across the top at the corners to keep them from stacking up there and climbing out.

There is a loading chute type entrance into the pen where I am planning on putting a door at an angle that only opens into the trap with a spring to pull it closed after the hog has entered.

Latest posts

Top Bottom