What Can Be Done To Curb The Wild Hog Population?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm sure I'm not the only one on here that has hunted hogs with NV and Thermal equipment. From experience I can tell you that you can kill A LOT more hogs a lot quicker with that equipment that trying to shoot them during the day. Are there better methods? Yes. To be specific, PROPER trapping and aerial hunting are more effective.

Really night hunting is just another tool landowners can use if they wish and the state should not make it so restrictive to use it!

All that being said this is really a moot point, because until you outlaw sport hunting of feral hogs their is too much money floating around that industry to ever see it go away. I have said that before. Until you take away the reason people want hogs ($$$$) there will ALWAYS be hogs!

However there are a few landowners that don't see money in those things and just see a nuisance they would like to limit as much as possible, therefore this bill is a good thing, IMO

CBarCRanch

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
From what I can tell, this bill eliminated 2 minutes of entering your name, phone number and directions and size of property to be given a permit number. All you had to was write that number down to carry with you.
We have severe budget problems and some of the legislature are up there fawking off on their own soap box.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Anyone go?
Screenshot_2017-03-29-15-34-15-1.png

sedona

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There was an article in yesterdays paper called the flying pig bill.It talked about in Texas and La. you can legally hunt hogs out of a helicopter for 1-2000 dollars per hour.If it passes in Oklahoma you could legally do it here.I have seen it on youtube and it looks like fun but you could have a pretty nice deer or elk hunt for that price and it would last longer than an hour.If I had the money to spare I would do it in a heartbeat.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There was an article in yesterdays paper called the flying pig bill.It talked about in Texas and La. you can legally hunt hogs out of a helicopter for 1-2000 dollars per hour.If it passes in Oklahoma you could legally do it here.I have seen it on youtube and it looks like fun but you could have a pretty nice deer or elk hunt for that price and it would last longer than an hour.If I had the money to spare I would do it in a heartbeat.
You can do helicopter hunts for pigs and coyotes in Ok now.

CBarCRanch

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
You already can do that in Oklahoma. The bill if passed would eliminate a couple bits of paperwork to ensure they are hunting on places they have permission. Once again politicians are not focused on what is important.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone heard of this?

Oklahoma Dept. of Agriculture gives away free hog traps to curb feral hog problem

http://kfor.com/2017/03/30/oklahoma...way-free-hog-traps-to-curb-feral-hog-problem/
I saw a deal on TV awhile back where a company had built a huge cage system that was suspended above a feeder. It had a camera on it that broadcast real time so the operator could watch the pigs come into the feed, and then remotely drop the trap out of the air above them. Looked very cool, and in the video, trapped about 20 at once.
Can't remember where I saw that.

Latest posts

Top Bottom