What Can Be Done To Curb The Wild Hog Population?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The pigs have shown back up on my place west of town and seem to have an aversion to my trap for some reason, so I'm going to have to move it again. The last couple days while checking cows I have rode up on a group of pigs on my 4 wheeler, and they have gotten back onto the neighbor's place (a cut over thicket) before I could get a shot. I decided to try another approach today and walked in, and it worked great...one confirmed dead and two got away suffering from lead poisoning.:thumb:

Attachments

• IMG_1568.JPG
    IMG_1568.JPG
    220.2 KB · Views: 152

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The pigs have shown back up on my place west of town and seem to have an aversion to my trap for some reason, so I'm going to have to move it again.
Pigs are incredibly smart (I had a small farrow-to-finish operation for several years). I've heard reports stating they're smarter than horses, and don't doubt it a bit. I'm not at all surprised they would associate a certain site with danger.

I remember seeing a trained pig on TV when I was a kid. The trainer had him stand with his front legs on a stool, and told him to hit a "high C" note. The pig grunted a low note.

The trainer again told him to hit a high C, and again the pig grunted a low note. The trainer then asked him if he knew what happened to pigs that wouldn't hit high C.

Again, the pig grunted a low note.

The trainer then asked him if he ever heard of pork chops... and the pig squealed like crazy. It was absolutely hilarious. :D

Obviously, he simply trained him to do a low note on hearing "high C" and to squeal on hearing "pork chops" ... but that's a pretty smart critter IMO. ;)

Latest posts

Top Bottom