What Can Be Done To Curb The Wild Hog Population?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I have a motive for wanting her to shoot and hunt (other than just self defense which I believe is very important for any young woman). I’m striving for a kind of intimidation to the boys that may want to date her. My goal is for her to be better armed, more proficient, and a more accomplished hunter than them.

Get her started shooting trap, then skeet and sporting clays. I can tell you from experience lol.

Jared

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
*The hunting of hogs at night with dogs on public lands. However there are several things to take into consideration like the deer seasons. Make it legal to hunt them at night after the end of bow season and legal through summer and close at the end of August. The state could sell a night hunting permit say for $5. I'd only be for that IF the money was going back into the Wildlife Department for educational purposes or land restoration. Maybe the money could be used to offer free hunter education courses to our youth.

An astonishing amount of the problem is rooted from our public lands. Research has shown that a vast amount of the hog populations statewide have "started" on our very own WMAs. How? you might ask. Simple, people transporting hogs and releasing them for hunting purposes. No better spot to release than a place they can flourish and you can hunt.

Other states have come to realize the same scenario has played out. Some have taken action to prevent it from happening any further, others have not.

"Hog Dogging" is a sport only and not a management tool. I know lots of them, and most will tell you they fear that "we" might actually come up with a solution to control the hogs. They want them for sport and that is one of, if not the biggest problem.

My PERSONAL opinion and wish is, that the State/Gov't had the funds and statewide landowner permission to full time aerial assault on the hogs until the mission is accomplished. Also, I think it is necessary to outlaw the sport hunting of hogs, only allowing landowners and their immediate family, tenants and agriculture lease holders to hunt hogs. Trapping of hogs could be allowed with permit from state and written landowner permission, and NO transport of live hogs.

I apologize if you all have already hashed these points out, but I didn't want to scroll thru 300+ comments to find out myself.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Heading out to “clear” my trap. Caught two of four that have been destroying my deer’s wheat patch.

Attachments

• 2260ADF9-1A07-400D-AB7F-310FA0DCE07D.jpeg
    2260ADF9-1A07-400D-AB7F-310FA0DCE07D.jpeg
    64.7 KB · Views: 118

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
An astonishing amount of the problem is rooted from our public lands. Research has shown that a vast amount of the hog populations statewide have "started" on our very own WMAs. How? you might ask. Simple, people transporting hogs and releasing them for hunting purposes. No better spot to release than a place they can flourish and you can hunt.

Other states have come to realize the same scenario has played out. Some have taken action to prevent it from happening any further, others have not.

"Hog Dogging" is a sport only and not a management tool. I know lots of them, and most will tell you they fear that "we" might actually come up with a solution to control the hogs. They want them for sport and that is one of, if not the biggest problem.

My PERSONAL opinion and wish is, that the State/Gov't had the funds and statewide landowner permission to full time aerial assault on the hogs until the mission is accomplished. Also, I think it is necessary to outlaw the sport hunting of hogs, only allowing landowners and their immediate family, tenants and agriculture lease holders to hunt hogs. Trapping of hogs could be allowed with permit from state and written landowner permission, and NO transport of live hogs.

I apologize if you all have already hashed these points out, but I didn't want to scroll thru 300+ comments to find out myself.

So who's lobbying against any changes? IMO the only people against the changes are the "hog doggers", the guys trapping and selling to the high fence outfitters, and hog outfitters themselves. Everyone else seems to share your same views yet nothing happens. Is there anyone lobbying for changes?

Jared

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So who's lobbying against any changes? IMO the only people against the changes are the "hog doggers", the guys trapping and selling to the high fence outfitters, and hog outfitters themselves. Everyone else seems to share your same views yet nothing happens. Is there anyone lobbying for changes?

That's a conversation I won't have over the www

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I 100% disagree with your stance on dogging them. And the other part about outlawing sport hunting of them. That will only make the population of pigs explode faster than it already is.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Problem is, if you shoot them and let them lie - as I understand a lot of people do when shooting a bunch, or with boars - then making "sport shooting" illegal would also make this illegal, would it not?

If you can only kill the ones you are "harvesting" then it is going to make it really really tough to eradicate them, or even keep a population under control. At least the way I understand it.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Oh I guarantee there would opposition in OK just like in TX. There are too many people “without skin in the game” (agriculture-wise) profiting from hogs and hog hunting to let any kind of restrictions on hog hunting pass.

A friend was one of the main proponents and was doing most if not all the “certified” training on the pig poison earlier this year, and he ended up getting sued several times basically for pushing the poison. Texas Hog Hunters Assn and a wild pig processing facility are the two I remember, but I know there are more.

Jared

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Problem is, if you shoot them and let them lie - as I understand a lot of people do when shooting a bunch, or with boars - then making "sport shooting" illegal would also make this illegal, would it not?

If you can only kill the ones you are "harvesting" then it is going to make it really really tough to eradicate them, or even keep a population under control. At least the way I understand it.

Is this comment in reference to my comments? If so, I am completely confused.

Latest posts

Top Bottom