What Can Be Done To Curb The Wild Hog Population?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jared

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I dunno, none of that makes any sense to me. You want to make it where people can't hunt them, so they can use a more expensive, time-consuming and labor intensive method to dispose of them. Do you think that is going to encourage more people to utilize trapping than already do now? What benefit is there to the theoretical "former" hunters?

I personally think your proposed position would simply lead to an even bigger explosion in the hog population. We are their only natural predators - imposing more restrictions on humans hunting hogs is going to lead to more hogs. They are voracious, they are rapid reproducers and have no essentially no natural predators in this area. That would be a recipe for disaster, especially for agriculture.

Just my opinion.

Re-read the last paragraph of my most recent post.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If they'd just make it illegal to charge fees for hunting hogs (leases, license/permits, etc.), everybody in their right mind would want to get rid of 'em.

Ya don't need a license to kill rats. :drunk2:

Coach_1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
At my local public land spot I was shocked at what the local police office in charge of that land said when I asked if we could set up our tree stands and shoot the pigs with rifles. The land is archery only for deer and shotgun for birds and shotgun and 22lr for squirrels, rabbits, etc. He told me I could use whatever is in season for that game. He said absolutely no rifles. So I asked about buck shot during the seasons shotguns are allowed and he said no. You can only use the legal means of taking ammo for what’s in season. I was like WTH!!! I said so you’re telling me I can shoot a pig with bird shot or steel duck loads and he said yes! I was blown away because his dad is a big wig with the wildlife department. I couldn’t believe what I was hearing. So I’m going to try and set up a meeting with him and the committee who regulates the land and see if we can acquire a special permit for the pigs or something. They’re ruining this place that has been a good place. To me it’s another source of revenue if they charge for these permits. If people break the then hammer them and don’t slap them on the wrist.

Long story short, these types of lands are protecting these pigs. At this point the pigs are way ahead of us and I don’t know if there is anything to be done to get ahead of them and get control. I’m afraid they’re going to push the deer out of the state because they eat everything they can get their teeth on and leave nothing behind.

Jared

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not sure what you're getting at. I read your post. Sure, it's an opinion. That's why I said I think you are wrong. That's MY opinion. But oh well.

You have to read past the first sentence. Here is the clarification>>>I would advocate for my ideas ONLY IF THE STATE HAD THE FUNDS TO CONDUCT STATEWIDE AERIAL GUNNING ON HOGS>>>only then would I believe the changes in laws would be beneficial. Hope this clears things up.

Jared

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
At my local public land spot I was shocked at what the local police office in charge of that land said when I asked if we could set up our tree stands and shoot the pigs with rifles. The land is archery only for deer and shotgun for birds and shotgun and 22lr for squirrels, rabbits, etc. He told me I could use whatever is in season for that game. He said absolutely no rifles. So I asked about buck shot during the seasons shotguns are allowed and he said no. You can only use the legal means of taking ammo for what’s in season. I was like WTH!!! I said so you’re telling me I can shoot a pig with bird shot or steel duck loads and he said yes! I was blown away because his dad is a big wig with the wildlife department. I couldn’t believe what I was hearing. So I’m going to try and set up a meeting with him and the committee who regulates the land and see if we can acquire a special permit for the pigs or something. They’re ruining this place that has been a good place. To me it’s another source of revenue if they charge for these permits. If people break the then hammer them and don’t slap them on the wrist.

Long story short, these types of lands are protecting these pigs. At this point the pigs are way ahead of us and I don’t know if there is anything to be done to get ahead of them and get control. I’m afraid they’re going to push the deer out of the state because they eat everything they can get their teeth on and leave nothing behind.

Obviously I don't know which public lands your referring to but, the GENERAL statewide regulations for hogs on public lands is they can be taken during any established hunting season with the methods allowed for that season. EXCEPT during any open deer or turkey season hogs may only be taken with the legal methods for the deer or turkey season. This can be found in the hunting regulation booklet on page 35.

So, now til Jan. 15 its still deer archery season so hog hunting on public land is limited to archery only. But, Jan. 16 no more deer season and then your allowed to hunt with any method allowed for any open season, furbearer season is open and coyotes are year around and both allow the use of center-fire rifles. So, Jan. 16- til youth turkey season you can hunt hogs with a center-fire rifle on public lands.

UNLESS the lands you refer to are further restricted under the "special area regulations".

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I haven’t personally read the rules on hog hunting in OK, because it currently doesn’t apply to me. Basically, what I’m hearing here though is that ODWC doesn’t trust hunters to follow these “rules” and only use the method/weapon legal during that season (specifically deer season).

I’ll be honest. I wouldn’t trust the “general public” to follow the rules either. I know too many people with questionable ethics/morals, so like in most situations, a few bad apples screw it up for everyone.:grumble:

Latest posts

Top Bottom