What Can Be Done To Curb The Wild Hog Population?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Out of all the trappers and hunters I know, not one single person has released a pig into an area where pigs dont exist. The pigs are already here, why go through all the trouble, which is considerable, and risk the chance of criminal charges to release a pig where there are already pigs? Not to mention that you are turning loose cash money. Do you guys personally know people that do this? If so did you turn them in? If you do and you didnt turn them in you are just as guilty as the people doing it.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Im trying to keep this civil but I really dont appreciate being called a liar.
You said yourself selling the hogs, before the laws made it more difficult to do so, was common because of the money to be made. It would be ludicrous to say that people would sell hogs because of the money to be made, but also say no hog doggers sold the boars which brought a premium.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Out of all the trappers and hunters I know, not one single person has released a pig into an area where pigs dont exist. The pigs are already here, why go through all the trouble, which is considerable, and risk the chance of criminal charges to release a pig where there are already pigs? Not to mention that you are turning loose cash money. Do you guys personally know people that do this? If so did you turn them in? If you do and you didnt turn them in you are just as guilty as the people doing it.

I’m not talking about releasing pigs where they don’t already exist. I’m talking about people who ask to “hunt hogs” on a property and then release the ones they catch that aren’t marketable. Although I do know one of the people that released a bunch of pigs 20+ years ago where they didn’t exist in east TX, and he’s paying for his “crime” today with hay fields destroyed by pig roots.

To me, release or re-release, one is just as bad as the other.

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You said yourself selling the hogs, before the laws made it more difficult to do so, was common because of the money to be made. It would be ludicrous to say that people would sell hogs because of the money to be made, but also say no hog doggers sold the boars which brought a premium.

At no point did i say that doggers didnt sell the boar pigs. Ive done it myslef.

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’m not talking about releasing pigs where they don’t already exist. I’m talking about people who ask to “hunt hogs” on a property and then release the ones they catch that aren’t marketable. Although I do know one of the people that released a bunch of pigs 20+ years ago where they didn’t exist in east TX, and he’s paying for his “crime” today with hay fields destroyed by pig roots.

To me, release or re-release, one is just as bad as the other.

How is catching a pig on a given property and then just letting it go on the same property just as bad as introducing a pig on a place that does not already have them?

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How is catching a pig on a given property and then just letting it go on the same property just as bad as introducing a pig on a place that does not already have them?

The landowners I know that let these guys run their dogs have an expectation of them actually getting rid of some hogs, and catch and release doesn’t do anything for population control and educates the pigs making them hard to catch later.

Opinions are like buttholes. We all have one, and they all stink. This discussion isn’t going in a positive direction, so I’m out. I’ve said all I’m going to say on the subject.

Latest posts

Top Bottom