What Can Be Done To Curb The Wild Hog Population?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I genuinely hope y’all can get the use of warfarin passed but don’t hold your breath. The ones profiting from pigs and pig hunting will vigorously oppose it and more than likely win by capitalizing on general public ignorance.

My brother and I were speculating today on how long it will be before they’re in Alfalfa county....
They are already there.
Grant Country was the last in the state to get a confirmed population.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They are already there.
Grant Country was the last in the state to get a confirmed population.

Hadn’t heard that. Last I heard, Grant AND Alfalfa were pig-free, but the map on the State website shows pretty much all NW OK to be pig free...

Attachments

• 255CCBB3-BC06-4658-89C5-2CCEB1F323B3.png
    255CCBB3-BC06-4658-89C5-2CCEB1F323B3.png
    262 KB · Views: 115

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I know an OHP trooper that saw several run across hwy 11, years ago in Alfalfa county. Grant had some within the last couple years, shot out I believe. I'm not sure how they've managed to stay out of the refuge at SP though.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know an OHP trooper that saw several run across hwy 11, years ago in Alfalfa county. Grant had some within the last couple years, shot out I believe. I'm not sure how they've managed to stay out of the refuge at SP though.
Yes, 16 were caught on Camera at the Kay/Grant line. All 16 were trapped by the GW and land owner.
SP would be perfect territory for them if they ever get that far.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hadn’t heard that. Last I heard, Grant AND Alfalfa were pig-free, but the map on the State website shows pretty much all NW OK to be pig free...
Not pig free. It shows a zone where pigs cannot be transported in an effort to slow down the spread as those areas are not good habitat.
"The Wildlife Department supports the Agriculture Department's creation of a "swine free zone" where feral swine cannot be transported, along with measures to require accountability from anyone who transports feral swine in other parts of Oklahoma."

Grant had a population, albeit small, that was trapped per an earlier post, but the stats still call it a population.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We had a hog issue where I hunt in Grant that was started by an old woman that lived on a small acreage nearby.
Pot bellied pigs that got out. Farm hands killed all of them before they could spread. It's so flat and void of cover that you would see them in the middle of a quarter or sections and have no way to put the sneak on them.
One of them had a heeler truck dog that would run out, and hang a tooth in the snout of them, letting the hand walk up and kill them with a pistol.
Okie4570 probably know's of the woman I'm talking about. He doesn't hunt far from there.

D. Hargrove

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
We had a neighbor a few years ago let his pigs free range as he called it. They had freedom of maneuver over 80 acres of grass and a good sized pond. Even had 2 dogs that ran the property to keep the yotes out. well ya know 80 acres was not enough and big pappa decided to make a break for it and yep, ya guessed it, all of them disappeared one night. Didn't take long long till we started seeing Poland China crosses running around, tasty little things for sure. Took a while, but most of them were hunted down, we hope...

Latest posts

Top Bottom