What Can Be Done To Curb The Wild Hog Population?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CBarCRanch

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have said this before and this is not a popular answer to rid a state of hogs but it works. First you must outlaw sport hunting of hogs. Then you must hire aerial hunters to come in and wipe them out.

So long as hunting hogs is legal there are hunters and outfitters that WANT to have hogs around, be it for money or for recreation. A significant number of people never truly want to see all the hogs eradicated. Take sport hunting away and they have no reason to keep them around. Again, not popular, but it works. I would argue it is the ONLY way to rid a state of hogs.
Absolutely.
To many the profit is the only thing they see, greedy bastards.

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have said this before and this is not a popular answer to rid a state of hogs but it works. First you must outlaw sport hunting of hogs. Then you must hire aerial hunters to come in and wipe them out.

So long as hunting hogs is legal there are hunters and outfitters that WANT to have hogs around, be it for money or for recreation. A significant number of people never truly want to see all the hogs eradicated. Take sport hunting away and they have no reason to keep them around. Again, not popular, but it works. I would argue it is the ONLY way to rid a state of hogs.

Im pretty sure that wont work either.

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Im pretty sure that wont work either.

It will work, but I live in reality. It will NEVER even be attempted. One there are too many people that will lobby to keep it open. Two the amount of money to wipe them out with hired shooters/trappers AND keep them out will be huge and you would probably never get the proper funding.

That plan is literally the only chance a state has of wiping hogs out and keeping them out.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You will never wipe them out It's a pipe dream.
We had one post to prove it with trapping, but failed with camera proof after catching a couple dumb ones.
Pigs are smart, and feeders of opportunity. If pressured, they will move to your neighbor.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I was growing up in east Texas in the 70's and 80's, there were no hogs, and when my parents moved to their new place in the early 90's, there were no hogs. In 1998, we started seeing signs, and my brother and I trapped our first group (3 sows in the trap with boar "hanging around" outside it). We killed them all, and the signs disappeared. When the guy that hunted beside our place heard we killed the pigs, he got majorly pissed, and rumor was that he had turned the pigs out to have something to hunt in the off season.

I tell this story to say hogs will NEVER be eradicated, because there are dumbasses like that guy who turn them out. The other problem (in east TX) is that dog hunters aren't killing the hogs they catch. They are castrating the boar and notching ears on sows and turning them loose to be able to hunt them again.

CBarCRanch

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
When I was growing up in east Texas in the 70's and 80's, there were no hogs, and when my parents moved to their new place in the early 90's, there were no hogs. In 1998, we started seeing signs, and my brother and I trapped our first group (3 sows in the trap with boar "hanging around" outside it). We killed them all, and the signs disappeared. When the guy that hunted beside our place heard we killed the pigs, he got majorly pissed, and rumor was that he had turned the pigs out to have something to hunt in the off season.

I tell this story to say hogs will NEVER be eradicated, because there are dumbasses like that guy who turn them out. The other problem (in east TX) is that dog hunters aren't killing the hogs they catch. They are castrating the boar and notching ears on sows and turning them loose to be able to hunt them again.
I have heard if you can cut the ears off boars, the dogs can't get a hold of em as easy and its hard on dogs.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have heard if you can cut the ears off boars, the dogs can't get a hold of em as easy and its hard on dogs.

It makes sense since the dogs tend to go for the ears on a hog. In a group I trapped in May there was a sow with both ears chewed off.

Attachments

• IMG_1075.JPG
    IMG_1075.JPG
    219.2 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_1076.JPG
    IMG_1076.JPG
    205.9 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_1077.JPG
    IMG_1077.JPG
    196.6 KB · Views: 139

Latest posts

Top Bottom