What causes you to cull brass?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I finally got a little setup going and put together my first 20 rounds. Have to go out and see how they do but I was removing the military crimps on some .223/5.56 rounds with a swage tool and noticed that some of the primer pockets were so loose they wanted to jump off the swager. Since I don't want something that the primer may just pop out of I culled that brass as being unsafe.

Now I know some of the obvious that would require brass to be culled like cracks or other signs of overpressure but was wonder what some other people cull brass for. I figure this might be a good list for others who are new to or thinking about reloading.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Primer pockets too large.
Splits in the brass.
Older brass with discoloration spots that remain after tumbling.
Dents that don't or won't come out after sizing.
Deep scratches in the brass that may weaken it.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Pretty much spot on.
You may take the culled cases that you think the primer pockets are too loose on and at least seat a primer and know for sure if the pocket is too loose.

I had an RCBS primer pocket swager tool..It left all the primer pockets in my .308 cases too small to seat a primer. In other words it was a POS.
I had to remove the crimps with a chamfer tool or pocket knife.

Try seating primers in the pockets that you assume are good and then try a few in the culled cases before you go tossing them.
Yes you can remove the primers from cases also. And then reuse said primer after.

If you have a lot of 223 cases with large primer pockets chances are the case head is large also. You can run the entire case through a Lee carbide factory crimp die for a 380 ,, basically a bulge buster.

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use one of these gages to check my primer pockets, small and large. I painted the go end green and no go end red, just above the groove. I use an RCBS swage and you have to use a lot of pressure to remove the lip on some lake city 308 cases.
The biggest thing I look at is the neck, if there is any damage around the edge, after trimming, it goes in the trash.

ballistictools.com_store_image_cache_data_gauges_2_swage_gauges_500x500.png

Calamity Jake

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Besides all the above I sort for non US made brass.
The only non US brass I use is Norma, Laupa, HXP(greek) S & B, and PMC
and maybe one or two others I can't think of right now.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Besides all the above I sort for non US made brass.
The only non US brass I use is Norma, Laupa, HXP(greek) S & B, and PMC
and maybe one or two others I can't think of right now.

I don't swage. I cut, but still some of the Hungarian .223 brass has pockets so small, it feels like pressing a primer into a crimped pocket. Goes into the scrap pile.
Got most of a 5 gal bucket of bad brass now. A lot with boxer primers picked up at the range.

Latest posts

Top Bottom