What did American children ever do before there was Internet, PC's, tablets, gaming and mobile phones?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

xseler

These are not the firearms you're looking for.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can tell you one thing we didnt do and that was let our parents or grandparents hear us say we was bored they could sure come up with stuff to get you unbored real quick.

Yep. Always hated shelling purple hulls. Guess because they tasted like dirt to me.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
i knew a guy that would swap the engine out of his pickup into his race car on the weekends and then back into the pickup during the week so he could get around.
We had an old 65 Ford pickup with a 428 Police Interceptor we threw old tires on to drive to the track. We had the slicks in the back along with an old tractor wheel weight we could boom down to get traction. After the race, we would change tires and go home.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Live in a small town, so not so much in chores, other than maybe gather the eggs for Mom.

Speaking of eggs, I remember taking a cotton rope and roping Mom's rooster. The dude choked down and was totally motionless. I removed the rope and then went on with playing in the back yard, but I'd still slip over by the chicken pen and check on the rooster. He finally got up, so my bacon was saved.

We also lived roughly 2 or 3 blocks from the railroad stockyards and if there were railcars on the siding, I'd be playing on, in, and around those. Some businessmen in town had lots of sheep, so there were generally some railcars for hauling sheep. Two levels in the sheep railcars.

Riding a bike around town and going just about anywhere, including over to the grain elevators. When I turned 14, I bought a motor scooter and got around with that instead of a bicycle. 3 or 4 of us had various motorize 2-wheelers, with one of the guys having a Harley Davidson Hummer.

1625440714775.png

I also had a paper route delivering Grit newspapers once a week. My earnings from that in my younger years helped me purchase camping items. Since camping didn't require a lot back then, it didn't take much money to stay "stocked."

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Cut and carried firewood in the house to stay warm in the winter sometimes carried railroad ties from the railroad behind the house on my shoulders to chop and burn in the stove, played in the woods, went hunting for food, traded comics, even traded for guns at age 11, bought ammo for the guns, drew water from the well into 5 gallon buckets and carried them to the garden, no electricity so we kept the milk in the Nanny goat, picked blackberries and put sugar and goat milk over them for a treat in the summer, walked two plus miles to school because I didn't have or could afford a bike, no TV, no radio so everyday we were like spring chickens when we woke up. And the school had no air conditioning. One day the goat got loose and got in the neighbors garden so mom slit it's neck and we had goat meat. Other than that we we normal...I think.

Last edited:

mike miller

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We milked cows then went to house to clean up and eat supper. We watched tv for a couple of hours then went to bed to read. I read two Zane Grey books a week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom