What did I see? Mountain lion?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ok so i posted a picture of the place I hunt. In another thread.

I hunted there opening morning, Family was at a cabin at Tenkiller so I drove to Eufaula early.

I get there before light and walk to a nice area.
It is super windy and cold..I move from that spot at 11am..Yes i know stay put.

Anyway I diagonaled through the woods slowly and on one of the ridges i seen 2 white flags..about 80 yards through the thick brush and trees.

HHHMMM should not have been me ..as i was still and slowly looking around for some time.

Now another open logging road was 15 yards from me so I went there and sat down.
I look the direction that the deer ran from and see something slinking across the logging road..Thought coyote at first but too dark and it was crouched and dark grey color and walking crouched. On all 4's.

I go up th that area and look for tracks and see nothing... i go into the woods there and zig then tag through the woods and come back out on the logging road and walk up it about 140 yards and sit down as I seen nothing.

I am looking at where I seen the coyotee come out and 10 minutes pass and I see that crouched critter come out of the tree line onto the logging road.. It came out at the same place I came out at. This road has grasses growing down it that block some of the view.
Who is tracking who???

I get a good look at it and pull up my .308 with scope set on 4X and take another look.
Not a coyote. Not a dog.... It has been looking right at me since it came onto the road.. it is about to the other side and stops.

Long tail not bushy.. black muzzle and again all dark grey color. I bust a round right below it between it's legs into the dirt ..I want to see it jump.

It jumped high into the air and had a hunched up back and long whippy tail dark muzzle and dark color around the top of it's feet. Round head. Thick legs and ankles.. Short coat no fluffy hair. Big round feet.

It ran like snoopy in mid air..hit the ground and was gone..
Now a friend of mine seen a black and a dark tan mountain lion in the same area a few years ago.. well 5 miles from there anyway.

Was very cool to see this cat.. yes I think it was a cat. Ever scare a cat and watch them jump.. This critter jumped the same way.. Up into the air and a haunched up mid section when it happened.

Hunt me one more time and I will scatter your fur. :)

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I grew up in SE OK where we knew they were around. My friends, cousins and I were always running through the hills doing something, still it took me 26 years before I ever saw one. It was the day after Christmas. My nephew and I were walking a creek and he pointed up on a bluff less than 100 yds away and said, "There's someone's hound." About then, it stood up, stretched, arching it's back while stretching, then looked straight down at us. We were silent and stared back at it for several minutes before it turned and walked away. It never spooked, just strolled away. We had my German Shepard with us and that was the only time I ever saw that dog cowar at anything. Never saw the cat again, though about 10 yrs later, my dad lost a 120 pound calf and found parts of it 2 days later hidden under some leaves. A few days after that, he found the hide and head in the fork of a tree about 10ft off the ground.

Tumbleweed

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was out moving a trail camera to a spot we haven't been to yet this year. I found these right by where I was setting the camera. This was in North Eastern Comanche county on 11/19/15. My Brother in law lives right by Lake Waurika and said a neighbor had a horse attacked recently. The vet said it was a Mountain Lion. They have seen tracks by the lake behind their house also. I have yet to see one definitively. I thought I saw one slink into a thick draw when I was a teenager deer hunting on Ft. Sill, but couldn't be sure.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This would explain the colors I seen on the cat .
Copied from Texas wildlife sight.

The Mountain Lion is a large, slender cat with a smallish head and noticeably long tail. Its fur is a light, tawny brown color which can appear gray or almost black, depending on light conditions. Contrary to popular belief, there are no black panthers in North America; no one has ever captured or killed a black Mountain Lion. Mountain Lions are also called cougars, pumas, panthers, painters, and catamounts.

Relentless

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This would explain the colors I seen on the cat .
Copied from Texas wildlife sight.

The Mountain Lion is a large, slender cat with a smallish head and noticeably long tail. Its fur is a light, tawny brown color which can appear gray or almost black, depending on light conditions. Contrary to popular belief, there are no black panthers in North America; no one has ever captured or killed a black Mountain Lion. Mountain Lions are also called cougars, pumas, panthers, painters, and catamounts.

I was referring to your friends story. It's possible that what you saw was a mountain lion. If anyone ever finds a melanistic mountain lion, the internet will shut down, haha

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I seen one down by Stratford while hunting. And over north of Arcadia is an area called Cougar Ridge. I hunted that once and saw huge cat prints in the mud. I layed my hand over it and it was as big as my hand with fingers spread wide. Later that day I heard one scream, and thats a sound no other animal makes. That ended my bow hunting from the ground that day.

Latest posts

Top Bottom