What did I see? Mountain lion?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DEER 24/7

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
50 years ago me and my dad are going coon hunting as we are driving down the road at night we seen a black panther run across the road in front of us(we weren't drinking I was only 10 or so)I said dad did you see that he said I sure did. We turned around went back turned the dogs lose and sic the dogs on him they open and trailed hot until they caught it 100 yrds out damest fight you ever heard we finally got up to them and what a sight they had somebody's 100 lb black lab and was tearing him up. Well we got the dogs off the lab and luckily he was ok. Well that was embarrassing .

MrShooter

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I saw one in Hughes county near holdenville a few years ago. About 50 yards across a pond were I've been hunting for many years. Just looked at me and slowly turned away and disappearEd into the trees. Me and grandpa went back to the truck and called it a day..

hoo-t

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I may have seen one yesterday. I was sitting in my ground blind at our hunting lease, where the property owner says there are mountain lions. I had already seen 2 coyotes at roughly 100 yards. Then I saw what I initially thought was a coyote at about the same distance. This one was hunting. It was crouched when I saw it, and then pounced. Not the way a dog does, but like a cat. As it pounced I could see that it had a long slender tail. This animal was roughly the same size as the coyotes I saw earlier. It almost certainly wasn't a coyote. If it was a bobcat, it was a really big one with a very long tail. Far too large for a house cat. It was a quick sighting. I wish I would have had time to see it through my binoculars.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Like in the diagram, if the center pad is makes a "M" shape it's a cat. The claw theory holds true most of the time, depending on the soil/sand and if the cat is walking or running. Took these pics for this sole purpose a few years ago, top is a coyote, bottom is a bobcat.........a domestic dog toe pattern will be wider than that of coyote though.

i1085.photobucket.com_albums_j434_btenn1_photobucket_39395_1361740390878_zps3a7e42d7.jpg

i1085.photobucket.com_albums_j434_btenn1_photobucket_57901_1361740348095_zps043078d4.jpg

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We saw a coyote cross the road in front of us right at dusk with the sun behind it. It looked totally black with a long tail. Told my wife that was where all the black panther reports come from.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We saw a coyote cross the road in front of us right at dusk with the sun behind it. It looked totally black with a long tail. Told my wife that was where all the black panther reports come from.

As many people that have seen "mountain lions", they should be thicker than deer. Half the time they don't even see a deer when they go huntin, but they sure as hell see a mountain lion. Yet pictures RARELY ever come out... almost makes me think... naaaaaa.

Sticky Stokes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As many people that have seen "mountain lions", they should be thicker than deer. Half the time they don't even see a deer when they go huntin, but they sure as hell see a mountain lion. Yet pictures RARELY ever come out... almost makes me think... naaaaaa.

Your just a grouchy naysaying doubter Roosta, I saw two "mountain lions" today........and I saw 2 or 3 deer too. Mountain lions are all around us....

Latest posts

Top Bottom