What did I see? Mountain lion?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Your just a grouchy naysaying doubter Roosta, I saw two "mountain lions" today........and I saw 2 or 3 deer too. Mountain lions are all around us....

Haha, yes I am. Do not doubt they exist in Oklahoma, that is proven. However, I believe very few of the reports. With all the cell phone cameras, game cams and surveilance videos these days, you'd think someone could get at least a blurry pic. But there are little to none. Some ol boy arounda Atoka got one on cam a few years ago, and one around Minco that got ran over, those are the only ones I can recall. I will gladly change my opinion when people start showing proof, but when all you hear are "black panther" and "woman screaming at night" stories...

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Haha, yes I am. Do not doubt they exist in Oklahoma, that is proven. However, I believe very few of the reports. With all the cell phone cameras, game cams and surveilance videos these days, you'd think someone could get at least a blurry pic. But there are little to none. Some ol boy arounda Atoka got one on cam a few years ago, and one around Minco that got ran over, those are the only ones I can recall. I will gladly change my opinion when people start showing proof, but when all you hear are "black panther" and "woman screaming at night" stories...
The one I saw, I was going hunting, no camera around and no cell phone with a camera. It was 25 years ago so I probably didn't have the basic cell phone even.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

Okiedeerhunter

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Me and my dad was also down there in Eufala on opening day of gun season. He told me he dozed off in his tree stand and woke up to a mountain lion crouched behind some logs 15 yards away from him. He said he knew it was mountain lion when he saw the head and eyes. He flinched at it and it took off. The funny part was that I was sitting on the ground rougly 300 yards away from him and I dozed off for almost an hour. That wouldve been a day if I was mauled.

electriccowboy

Marksman
Reaction score
I have lived for 57 years and most of it has been here in Oklahoma. I can count on one hand the number of times I have seen a mountain lion (3). One sighting I was in an OGE bucket trucks bucket, about 20 foot in the air. the cat crossed the road about 20 yards away. right behind it was a young one. The 4 man crew got a big kick at looking at the big tracks it made in the sandy road. no claw marks, and as big as my hand.

1mathom1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Have seen a grand total of ONE in the wild. Several years ago before any reliable pics or road kills. SE of Mannford. Just before dusk saw this tawny colored critter cross a farm two-track about a hundred yards away. It's nose was entering the bushes on one side while its tail was still coming out of the other. Spotted a land mark and went to check it out. Darn near 8 feet from one side of the road to the other. Tracks were BIG. Land owner seemed relieve we saw it since the local ranger kept telling him they didn't exist here.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
when your 22 years old, out turkey hunting and walk around a bush and come face to face (less than 10 feet) with one. Q. how fast can you empty a 870 and a 357?
A. about 2 seconds
wasn't in Okla. though.
made a nice rug. 6 ft nose to end of tail.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
People say they never seen a mountain lion in OK. ,, well I have never seen a bear in OK.
I have seen the claw marks on a tree but never a bear or an alligator.
Just not in the right place at the right time..I do not frequent bear or gator country that much ,,so that would explain it.

DEER 24/7

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
This is what I wonder. Forty years ago in Caddo county seeing a bobcat was about as rare as seeing a mountain lion today. Now you can see them all the time. Is the same thing going to happen with the mountain lion forty years from now?? wish I would be alive then to see

rhart

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I saw one back in1996 early in the morning right after sunrise. Ran across the turnpike from Tulsa to Muskogee - just outside of Tulsa. I saw something running flat out toward the road from my right. It was about 150-yards from the road when I first noticed it. Thought it was a deer at first so I slowed down so as not to hit it. That thing didn't even slow down when it hit the fence just before crossing the road. It was tawny colored and had a tail that was about as long as its body from shoulders to butt. It shot across all four lanes of the turnpike and jumped the fence on the other side at break neck speed. Crossed about 30-yards in front of my truck. When I told the guys down in Muskogee at work about it they said it was probably somebody's escaped pet.

I know what a mountain lion looks like as my buddy worked on this rich guy's farm that had two mountain lions (male & female) and a Bengal Tiger among other animals. I got to pet the tiger that they kept penned up in the barn - although I have to admit I was too scared to pet it's head like my buddy did (I reached through a hole and pet it's hind quarters). These mountain lions were fenced in an area surrounding the barn and I had to walk through with them walking up to me. My buddy says "go ahead and pet them" so I did. They acted a lot like a house cat only bigger -much bigger. Their heads were about to my waist maybe a little higher for the male. It was kind of scarey, but exciting at the same time. Later I asked my buddy why he had a bandage around his left hand and he says the male cougar bit down on his hand while they were playing and when he went to pull his hand out of his mouth the fang separated his little finger bone or what ever you call it from the rest of his hand like he had been cut with a knife. I sure gave him a cussin when I realized these "pets" could do so much damage when they were just "playing" and he had me walking amongst them. The funny thing is that the fence "holding" them in was about the height of a regular farm fence so I know those things were mostly pets cause that little fence wouldn't stop them from getting out if they was of a mind to leave.

Latest posts

Top Bottom