What did you do in the reloading room today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Still loading .223.
I did find out some much older CCI 450 primers I have are .004" taller than the newer 450 primers.
Really hard to get them to sit below flush in FC cases.

I save the rest of those for some brass with deeper primer pockets.
Not that I ever measured pocket depth between different .223/5.56 cases but looks like I will have to.

rockchalk06

ʞlɒʜƆʞɔoЯ
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just ran 50 of my ADG .300 PRC cases over this new L.E. Wilson Mandrel Die. Little graphite powder and it was very smooth. Very consistent too. All cases measured .336" outside diameter after running them over the mandrel. Exactly what I was shooting for. Loaded round measures .338" outside diameter and I wanted no more than .002".

One a side note, my SAC bushing in my Lyman S die comes out with a .336" outside diameter after running a new case through the die with and without running it over the Mandrel.

Hot Damn! I was shooting for no more than .002" neck tension and I got it. Little happy dance going in the man cave!

rockchalk06

ʞlɒʜƆʞɔoЯ
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I measured some Hornady .223 cases and the primer pockets are deeper than my Federal cases.
Works well with the Old CCI 450's I have.
Not great enough to to a happy dance though :)
I loaded up a 1000 rounds last month of .223 using range pick up brass (all good stuff) but it was a mix of LC/Federal/CCI etc using CCI 41's. I noticed some of the cases the primer was not near as flush as with others. I didn't think anything of it until now. This may have been the reason why?

My match stuff, I run Starline .223 brass and Federal GM205MAR's for the consistency.

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I loaded some fine-tune test loads for my other 6.5x47L today. Had good results with (only) 3-shot groups at two seating depths, so I'm basically just going a tenth of a grain over and under to see if anything gets more promising.

20230201_142731.jpg

Whatever looks best will be tested at distance, and see if it holds together. I'm hoping to stick with the 2.625 (2.113 CBTO) load as it will allow for a bit of erosion without having to adjust the seating depth.

Latest posts

Top Bottom