What Diesel Truck Would You Buy For $35k?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's why I ordered my last one with the 4X4 SHIFTER ON THE FLOOR. Yep, you can still get it, but not with the fancy wood grain and full length console. I intentionally gave up those comforts. The last 2 vehicles I owned with push button 4x4 had issues to the tune of a few thousand in repair for electical issues, not the drive itself.

Went the same route with my new Duramax L5P. Plus I can very comfortably seat 6 with this option.

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am considering doing something that is against my financial belief system...Financing a new truck. I have been looking every day for a while now and it looks like i can get a 2017-2018 Ram 3500 with zero miles for around $45k. 2013-2015 with 100k miles (no warranty) for around $35k. so $10k more to have a brand new truck with a warranty. The main reason i am liking this route is the warranty. These trucks are expensive to fix when they break so having 100k miles covered would be excellent. I am curious what a decent interest rate is on vehicles these days?

sharing for the sake of discussion, you're thoughts?

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Your still shopping? Lol. I figured you done pulled the trigger a couple months ago. Is Ram doing the 0% for 6yrs thing? I know Chevy was a couple weeks ago when my wife and I were looking at Suburbans. Ford wasn't and we didn't shop Dodge/Ram cuz they don't offer a family wagon that suits us.

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Your still shopping? Lol. I figured you done pulled the trigger a couple months ago. Is Ram doing the 0% for 6yrs thing? I know Chevy was a couple weeks ago when my wife and I were looking at Suburbans. Ford wasn't and we didn't shop Dodge/Ram cuz they don't offer a family wagon that suits us.

I know its pathetic man. I have seriously been looking for a truck for over a year and a half. I started out wanting to replace my 7.3 with a 3rd gen cummins and my taste has gotten progressively newer and more expensive lol. 0% for 6 years would be excellent.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just can't fathom spending that kind of money on a vehicle. I did spend $25k on my Z, but it was a "fun car" and was a personal "reward" purchase. I still shake my head that I convinced myself to do it. Never spent that much money on ANYthing other than my very modest house and education loans.

Now that my Tahoe has 255k miles on it, and little things are going wrong, and I can feel the transmission slip once in a while, and am slowly losing coolant with no leak (my mechanic suggested this could be a tiny head crack or head gasket leak), and the power seat don't work and the seats need recovering... I still don't even want to entertain the idea of buying a new or slightly-used truck. F that. I'll fix mine up, I can't afford that sh|t, no way, no how.

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just can't fathom spending that kind of money on a vehicle. I did spend $25k on my Z, but it was a "fun car" and was a personal "reward" purchase. I still shake my head that I convinced myself to do it. Never spent that much money on ANYthing other than my very modest house and education loans.

Now that my Tahoe has 255k miles on it, and little things are going wrong, and I can feel the transmission slip once in a while, and am slowly losing coolant with no leak (my mechanic suggested this could be a tiny head crack or head gasket leak), and the power seat don't work and the seats need recovering... I still don't even want to entertain the idea of buying a new or slightly-used truck. F that. I'll fix mine up, I can't afford that sh|t, no way, no how.

It is a lot i agree and am very hesitant to do it. My current vehicles are a 2001 Tahoe and 2001 f250. The most i ever dropped on a vehicle prior to this is $11k so i can relate. I can afford to buy one with cash so that isn't a major issue, just getting over that mentality of buying a truck with the same money i could buy a rent house with.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

My new F250 Limited was $85,000 and then I leveled it, put shocks and dual steering stabilizer, tint, bed rug and tonneau cover on it. It’s worth it!! Now my wife’s Porsche Cayenne Turbo that we are ordering...

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My new F250 Limited was $85,000 and then I leveled it, put shocks and dual steering stabilizer, tint, bed rug and tonneau cover on it. It’s worth it!! Now my wife’s Porsche Cayenne Turbo that we are ordering...
its all relative. You probably have a lot more money than i do and at the very least are obviously used to spending more so what to me sounds borderline absurd (dropping $50k on a base model "tradesman" truck) would be more like a conservative purchase to you lol.

BINGO! i should just earn way more money then it wouldn't be a big deal.

i0.kym_cdn.com_entries_icons_facebook_000_022_138_reece.jpg

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
its all relative. You probably have a lot more money than i do and at the very least are obviously used to spending more so what to me sounds borderline absurd (dropping $50k on a base model "tradesman" truck) would be more like a conservative purchase to you lol.

BINGO! i should just earn way more money then it wouldn't be a big deal.

i0.kym_cdn.com_entries_icons_facebook_000_022_138_reece.jpg
They are all overpriced, don’t get me wrong. But i was just responding to TR saying that he couldn’t ever see spending that much on any vehicle.

Latest posts

Top Bottom