What Diesel Truck Would You Buy For $35k?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
About $15k. Why would you swap a 6.0?
They are not as bad as you have been told. I hammered on mine a lot for over 200k miles and it never laid down.
2006 and 2007 6.0’s are good. The one before did have some issues. I still have 230,000 on my 2005. Most of it on a super hot tune. I do have new head and new injectors.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
2006 and 2007 6.0’s are good. The one before did have some issues. I still have 230,000 on my 2005. Most of it on a super hot tune. I do have new head and new injectors.
no, the 2003 was the best of the 6.0s. It had a bulletproof EGR system/ The rest, not so much. My buddy is a Ford diesel tech and I hear all about them lol.

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know a lot of them didn't have issues...but a lot of them have. half the 6.0s on craigslist come with $5000 receipts for "bulletproofing". You don't see that with the duramaxs, cummins, 7.3 or 6.7 PSD. And I understand the argument that fords outsell the others 2 to 1 or more so you are more likely to see trucks with problems just because there are more of them on the road...but again even with other year fords you just don't see that same ratio of issues. Same goes with the 03-07 5.9 cummins...more of those with burnt up motors than any other cummins. People want to argue about how great they are but I ask the question of why so many of them have rebuilt motors at under 200k miles? its because they aint as good plain and simple same as the 6.0.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
99% do need to be bullet proofed, and most are. I'd buy a bullet proof 6.0l over a 7.3l any day, and I've owned both, both with well over 300k miles each.
and 95% were driven buy young men with a need for speed and trying to do things with them that they were never designed for. Like I did, only I knew it's limits.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
My 03' had 333k when I sold it, and was not bullet proofed. I'd never buy a used one that wasn't though. 05'-07' sure ride alot better though with the front suspension change.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The majority of 6.0 issues were because of the gold coolant. It was silicone based and had to be changed at 50k miles or it would drop the silicone out in solid form clogging the oil cooler. Poor maintenance was the key. The other issue was the EGR cooler. Heads lifting were because of tunes and people not knowing the limits on cyl. pressures and boost.
Coolant swap and flush using CAT red ELC coolant and an EGR delete is all they needed (unless it was a 2003, then just the coolant swap). And a caveman could do those himself on a Sat. afternoon. I've done 6 of them and can almost do it blindfolded...well maybe not but... lol

Latest posts

Top Bottom