What Diesel Truck Would You Buy For $35k?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
so anywho, does anyone know if the 6.7 powerstrokes require the cab removal to do anything like the 6.4s? I'm finding some decent deals on PSD compared to the other 2 but don't want to buy one that needs $5,000 worth of cab off bull crap.

I'm a GM man but have to admit chevy or dodge aint never made a diesel this sexy....daaaaaaamn

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for...archRadius=100&makeCode1=FORD&modelCode1=F350

chadh2o

Gunslinger
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wow, did this thread go off the rails.

Another consideration on the "truck" is what will it be worth 5 years from now. I am a "save a buck" type of person and save were I can. Depreciation is getting out of hand today. New Tahoe today, $60k. 3 years and 50,000 miles worth $28k. I don't know about you, but pissing away $30,000 just because I want to "feel" big doesn't do it for me. I like things that go bang better.
Now if your spending $35k on a truck, what's it worth in 3 years and how much repair does it take. I always count on spending $1,500-2,500 on a "new to me" used vehicle. They are NEVER sound imho, people just suck at maintenance.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
$5,000 worth? It takes less than an hour to pull a body, I've seen it done more than once.on both a F350 and an Excursion. It's not something that would detour me from buying a Ford. I've had two 7.3l, a 6.0l and a now a 6.7l. Buddy owns a diesel shop, 6.0l and 6.4l needs the cab removed, the 6.7l can be done either way. Not sure what a Ford dealer would do though.

I have that same truck in your link above, same year, color, and all lol.

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
$5,000 worth? It takes less than an hour to pull a body, I've seen it done more than once.on both a F350 and an Excursion. It's not something that would detour me from buying a Ford. I've had two 7.3l, a 6.0l and a now a 6.7l. Buddy owns a diesel shop, 6.0l and 6.4l needs the cab removed, the 6.7l can be done either way. Not sure what a Ford dealer would do though.

I have that same truck in your link above, same year, color, and all lol.

i love that color combo, cangrats to you on a slick truck

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
so anywho, does anyone know if the 6.7 powerstrokes require the cab removal to do anything like the 6.4s? I'm finding some decent deals on PSD compared to the other 2 but don't want to buy one that needs $5,000 worth of cab off bull crap.

I'm a GM man but have to admit chevy or dodge aint never made a diesel this sexy....daaaaaaamn

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for...archRadius=100&makeCode1=FORD&modelCode1=F350

Rumor had it that you had to pull the cab on the 6.0PS too but my BIL and I swapped engines in his and we didn’t pull no stinking cab. Twice!

Note: pulling it would have made it much easier but my BIL is hard headed. lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just to chime in on trucks and their tow ratings. Ignore those ratings as they are nothing more than a guideline.

When we were researching for a tow truck to pull our 38 1/2-foot, 18,500 lb fifth wheel, I went to looking at numbers. One needs to ignore tow ratings and instead look at Gross Axle Weight Rating and Gross Combined Vehicle Weight rating. We have a 2008 Ford F450 with the 6.4L and Ford's ratings said it had a tow rating of 24,600 lbs. Well, I can be pretty dang sure that if I was trying to tow something that weighed that much, I would be over on the GAWR and also likely on the GCVW.

Now, as to which brand to buy, it would be Ford hands down, largely because I really got ticked off at GM and Chrysler Group for taking taxpayer money and never paying it all back. Also, I just like the interior size and comfort better.

Latest posts

Top Bottom