What do we do after?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okgr8outdrs

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
It seems the CCW class covers justifiable use of deadly force and the notification of peace officer during a traffic stop or other investigation, but I don't recall being instructed on what to do after an incident where we found it necessary to use deadly force against another person.

Logically, I know to call 911 and report the incident immediately. I would like to know from our LE friends what they would like to see when they roll up on the scene.

I am pretty sure I would have given the dispatcher my description so you know who I am when you arrive. Will the dispatcher give me instructions on securing the scene until you do?

Should I secure the BG's weapon? If it is a gun, do I clear it or just take possession of it? Should I be concerned with fingerprints? Should I reholster my firearm? If the BG is still living, does trying to administer aid represent guilt? How should I react with onlookers to keep the scene from turning into chaos? Any other information to keep in mind will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for all you do, the risks you take and the sacrifices you make.

pete156

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One very important lesson that several of my cop buddies and one defense lawyer have told me:

DO NOT GIVE ANY STATEMENTS UNTIL YOU HAVE A LAWYER PRESENT.

There are no ifs ands or butts about that one. Its all too easy to get diarreha of the mouth after a traumatic event such as that.

J.P.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One thing that you *definitely* should not do is wrap the body up with chicken wire, shove it in a barrel of Quickcrete ,and drop it in the lake.
IMO,that would look bad in front of today's mostly liberal juries.
;)

Mack45

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
IMO the BG should definately NOT be still living. If I am ever driven to that point, I should never have to face the BG in court, or worry about giving aid to someone who was trying to kill me. But thats just me, I am also with Pete on giving no statements without a lawyer. I would like to hear from some police officers about what would be proper proceedure and how to act properly when they arrive on the scene. Also, would " lawyering up " send the wrong message to the officer on the scene? Michael, your thoughts on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

Glockender

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
okgr8outdrs said:
Should I secure the BG's weapon? If it is a gun, do I clear it or just take possession of it? Should I be concerned with fingerprints? Should I reholster my firearm? If the BG is still living, does trying to administer aid represent guilt? How should I react with onlookers to keep the scene from turning into chaos? Any other information to keep in mind will be greatly appreciated.

Having just completed the course this past weekend, I can help with some of these questions as some were brought up in the class.

If it were me, I would not try to get their weapon from them as you will be the last to touch it thus your prints would be on it.

Do NOT try to administer aid as you will most likely be traumatized yourself after having shot the BG. Also, you are not trained to properly and safely administer the aid (in most cases). Wait until the EMT's get there and let them give aid as that is their job and they are properly trained.

We had an Okmulgee Police Officer sitting in on the class as he just received his Instructors Certificate and was over seeing my class and taking notes. He said that when the LE arrives, it is in your best interest to tell them that you "DO NOT WISH TO MAKE A STATEMENT AT THIS TIME." That is how the LE are trained and he advised us to do the same.

Hope this helps a little and also hope that Micheal will step in and say something as well.

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
J.P. said:
One thing that you *definitely* should not do is wrap the body up with chicken wire, shove it in a barrel of Quickcrete ,and drop it in the lake.
IMO,that would look bad in front of today's mostly liberal juries.
;)

Hog wire works better!!:thumb:

goodoleboy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Warning: This is not legal adivce.

An LE spoke about this topic that applied to shootings. He stated that one should not mess with the BG weapon unless needed. He also stated one should GIVE a statement Unless you had something to hide He stated if you dont talk then the officer will be highly likely to suspect you of a wrongful act... I feel he was speaking from a LE side and not whats best for the person involved in the defensive action.

That alone seems to me to be illogical as I need representation during such a crisis. A shooting is very serious, its not a football game or casual conversation where words can be used without reprecussion... Statements after a shooting can be used against one..

I left wondering if I should follow his advice?

Warning:This is not legal advice.

liliysdad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As a cop, I will offer this advice. Take it for what its wortj, as Im not a lawyer. This NOT legal advice. This NOT legal advice. This is NOT legal advice.

I would not mess with the shootees gun, unless it poses an imminent threat. It is a vital part of the crime scene. I would administer aid, if I felt secure in doing so. If not, then dont. Remember, you are not shooting to kill the individual, you are shooting to stop the threat.

When the cops arrive, I would NOT make a statemtn without legal representation. You will go to jail, nine times out of ten. Sucks, but thats the way it is. Far better to go to county, and wait for an attorney, than to go to prison because of a bad statement.

liliysdad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The problem with you thinking is that in the unfortunate event you ever face a deadly force situation, you have basically committed murder, as you have the premedtation as shwon above. Sucks, but thats the way it.

You have to remember, you DO NOT shoot to kill, wound, main, or otherwise, you shoot only to stop the imminent threat. When that threat has become neutralized, you are no longer entitled to used deadly force. Igranted, the best way to instantly neutralize a threat is by killling the perpetrator, this is the real world. That is why practice and training are such vital issues.

Latest posts

Top Bottom