What do you do about a neighbors bull?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a friend whose neighbor’s bull continues to get out of his pen and runs into my buddies yard. The neighbor is lazy and is not concerned about it until my buddy told him he was going to pepper it with the 12 gauge. That comment got him motivated to try to round it up.

What can my buddy do with this bull that scares his kids when he comes running across their property and stares them down? They are in the city limits of OKC.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not sure what your buddy is capable of or if he knows someone who is able to hand the job but I would catch the bull, load his ass in the trailer and haul him to the stockyards. Once at the stockyards either check the bull in as a "holdover" in the guys name or go ahead and check him in to sell in the owners name with the owners address for them to mail the check to. Option 1 he would have to pay yardage fees to get his bull. Option 2 he will get paid market price.

Additionally, any trucking and capture fees can also be put on the check-in slip to be deducted from the sale of the bull or the owner will have to pay these fees in order to retrieve the bull if option 1 was chosen. Been there done that.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Also, be sure to call the sheriffs dept. every time. Cattle getting out in our state kinda gets excused a couple times but once it becomes habitual things get a lil tougher on the owner. If your buddy isn't into my more aggressive post above then I'd suggest taking pictures and making reports every step of the way. Pictures of the poor fence allowing the bull to escape would be good too. Now, keep in mind that if you share a fence with a neighbor, you're responsible for part of the fence too. Even if you don't have animals.

I may do some shotgunnin on my own bull but I don't think I'd pepper a neighbors in these times. Especially in the city limits.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Also, be sure to call the sheriffs dept. every time. Cattle getting out in our state kinda gets excused a couple times but once it becomes habitual things get a lil tougher on the owner. If your buddy isn't into my more aggressive post above then I'd suggest taking pictures and making reports every step of the way. Pictures of the poor fence allowing the bull to escape would be good too. Now, keep in mind that if you share a fence with a neighbor, you're responsible for part of the fence too. Even if you don't have animals.

I may do some shotgunnin on my own bull but I don't think I'd pepper a neighbors in these times. Especially in the city limits.

Of course there are jumpers. no 5 strand standard fence will keep them in once they figure it out. Our neighbors cow #43 on the ear tag could come through our fence like it wasnt' there and was perfectly content to eat our bermuda and punch holes in our lawn with her hooves. After enough calls, he took it to the sale barn himself.

Latest posts

Top Bottom