What do you do about a neighbors bull?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okie362

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What bull?

IMG_0277.JPG

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not sure what your buddy is capable of or if he knows someone who is able to hand the job but I would catch the bull, load his ass in the trailer and haul him to the stockyards. Once at the stockyards either check the bull in as a "holdover" in the guys name or go ahead and check him in to sell in the owners name with the owners address for them to mail the check to. Option 1 he would have to pay yardage fees to get his bull. Option 2 he will get paid market price.

Additionally, any trucking and capture fees can also be put on the check-in slip to be deducted from the sale of the bull or the owner will have to pay these fees in order to retrieve the bull if option 1 was chosen. Been there done that.
Years ago, an old fella told me about an incident when he had leased out some land to a guy to run cattle. During deer season, he was on part of the land that he hadn't leased out, and he shot a deer. As deer will do, it bolted, so he trailed it over to the land that was leased.

There he found his deer, with the tenant and several of the guy's buddies standing over it. He told them he'd shot a deer, and had followed its blood trail here. The tenant said he'd shot the deer, and several of his buddies kind of moved their guns none too subtly, despite there having been no other gunshots and the deer having a .44 caliber hole in it, while none of them were carrying anything bigger than a .308.

Discretion being the better part of valor, he left.

But he didn't drop it.

Some time later, he went back, rounded up the guy's high-dollar cattle, loaded them into the guy's trailer, and hauled them down to a distant stockyards. (I forget where, but it was a fair piece away; seems like the land was in northeast OK, but the stockyard was somewhere like Ada.) As was often the case back in the day, the guy had his SSN scratched into the frame of the trailer, so when he checked in the cattle, he gave the guy's name and SSN--and, being the guy's landlord, he also had the guy's bank's name to tell them where to send the check.

He then dropped the trailer in the parking lot and went home.

Oh, those high-dollar cattle? I forget the term he used for it, but he basically checked them in to be sold for dog food.

So, yeah, that turned out to be one expensive dang deer...

Neanderthal

In Remembrance / March 2023
Special Hen
Reaction score
I scoff at your bull in the yard and raise you a whole herd!

Seriously though, it's a regular occurrence out here in the hilly sticks of Delaware county. Cattle are always out on the roads or in the yards. We do know all off the owners when it does happen, and they are good people. They offer to pay for any damages and they would come deal with them immediately (that's where the situation differs from yours) if asked. I just consider it free lawn fertilizer and run them back into their respective pastures myself.

The Cherokee Nation Bison herd is also right behind my house. I'm waiting for the day when one of them lumbers into my yard, it may end up being a whole different story *rubbing belly*.

cows.jpg

Attachments

• cows1.jpg
    cows1.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 158

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Having worked numerous auto accidents when people's cattle get out, I can see this is a major problem. It's a tough situation, for sure, especially if you want to try to foster good relationships with your neighbors.

kirk1978

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I scoff at your bull in the yard and raise you a whole herd!

Seriously though, it's a regular occurrence out here in the hilly sticks of Delaware county. Cattle are always out on the roads or in the yards. We do know all off the owners when it does happen, and they are good people. They offer to pay for any damages and they would come deal with them immediately (that's where the situation differs from yours) if asked. I just consider it free lawn fertilizer and run them back into their respective pastures myself.

The Cherokee Nation Bison herd is also right behind my house. I'm waiting for the day when one of them lumbers into my yard, it may end up being a whole different story *rubbing belly*.

View attachment 139551

I would cull that little one out for the freezer!

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Lots of good ideas on here, some reasonable and some creative. I think his relationship with the owner is already on the poor side. Sounds like he’s going to follow the law I enforcement path, and not the one I like about making hamburger out of the fella.

When I was sixteen I came across an accident on 412 where a Brahma bull rolled over a cutlass that was at highway speeds. Luckily the people in the car weren’t seriously injured, but the car was. When I made it back after turning around from traveling the opposite direction, the bull was standing on the side of the road and looked rather upset. Someone had a pistol and put him down on the spot. Not sure what happened with the carcass but it was gone the next time I drove by.

Neanderthal

In Remembrance / March 2023
Special Hen
Reaction score
Having worked numerous auto accidents when people's cattle get out, I can see this is a major problem. It's a tough situation, for sure, especially if you want to try to foster good relationships with your neighbors.

My wife hit a cow on 412 hwy by Leach before daybreak a few years ago. She was in a small Suzuki Swift (Geo Metro) and is VERY lucky that it wasn't worse. Nobody would claim the cow (go figure) and the Hi-Po who responded suggested that we take the cow home with us until someone claims it, or offers to pay damages. I didn't have a way to haul the critter, or I probably would have.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Take this for what it's worth and if someone knows different please correct me. As I understand it, a cattle raiser isn't responsible for damages when you hit one of their cattle on the road unless their cattle are known to get out habitually. That is why I mentioned the "habitual" word in a previous post. I think it's something to do with Oklahoma being a semi open range state. Now, Colorado and some other states that are sure enough open range states, you must fence my cattle out. It's not the cattle raisers job to keep his cattle off your grass. I know I'm not speaking to the ops problem but I'm just thinking out loud.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom