What do you do about a neighbors bull?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Take this for what it's worth and if someone knows different please correct me. As I understand it, a cattle raiser isn't responsible for damages when you hit one of their cattle on the road unless their cattle are known to get out habitually. That is why I mentioned the "habitual" word in a previous post. I think it's something to do with Oklahoma being a semi open range state. Now, Colorado and some other states that are sure enough open range states, you must fence my cattle out. It's not the cattle raisers job to keep his cattle of your grass. I know I'm not speaking to the ops problem but I'm just thinking out loud.
I know for a fact, that that's the way it used to be, and I've never heard of any changes being made to the law.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When we were on the farm/ranch back in the late '70's and early '80's, we lived near a highway where there was 24 miles between the two towns nearest to us. If ANYONE's cattle were out on that 24 miles, they tended to tell the police in the town nearest to us, so we'd have to go check all our cattle and fences near the highway to make sure it wasn't our cattle.

Police just naturally called us for some reason, even though most of the time ours weren't out.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When we were on the farm/ranch back in the late '70's and early '80's, we lived near a highway where there was 24 miles between the two towns nearest to us. If ANYONE's cattle were out on that 24 miles, they tended to tell the police in the town nearest to us, so we'd have to go check all our cattle and fences near the highway to make sure it wasn't our cattle.

Police just naturally called us for some reason, even though most of the time ours weren't out.
Ain't that aggravating! You gotta go check just in case but 9 out of 10 times if someone says they KNOW it's my cattle......then it ain't mine. Then ya also get the calls where someone thinks they saw one out. I appreciate the calls and I'm sure I sound aggravated but I'm actually laughing thinking about all the dry runs I've been on just cuz you can't ignore folks.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Take this for what it's worth and if someone knows different please correct me. As I understand it, a cattle raiser isn't responsible for damages when you hit one of their cattle on the road unless their cattle are known to get out habitually. That is why I mentioned the "habitual" word in a previous post. I think it's something to do with Oklahoma being a semi open range state. Now, Colorado and some other states that are sure enough open range states, you must fence my cattle out. It's not the cattle raisers job to keep his cattle off your grass. I know I'm not speaking to the ops problem but I'm just thinking out loud.

I don't know about the current law, but 20+ years ago a friend of mine had a cow get out and he got to pay for damages to a van plus medical bills. His cattle certainly were not habitual offenders. He took good care of his fences and it was very rare for one to get out.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Depends on how freshly road-killed it is. If you get there soon enough, road kill is as good as anybody's meat.

Nah, I’ve picked up a couple of fresh road killed deer that my wife hit and it’s not good depending on where it’s hit I guess. Both of hers had so much damaged bloodshot meat that 90% wasn’t salvageable. Both totaled out the vehicle.

On our annual elk hunt in NM I spotted a calf elk with a broken leg on the side of the road. Called GW and another member of this forum ended up with the animal after the GW put it down.
They have an interesting process in NM. If your a resident, you can put your name into a list to be drawn for road kill. Since we reported it, it ended up in a bidding war with the next person on the road kill list. When it got to $50, the party backed out. Our forum member got a 250-300 lb calf with little bad meat. Elk meat is tough to beat.

Elk legs are so tall they just roll over the vehicle. Whitetail take it hard.

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My mother hit a button buck on her way to her job in Altus. She called me on the phone, and by the time I got there his heart was still beating. I punched a knife in his throat and he drained pretty well. As good as any venison I ever had. I don't even care if The Man is listening.
Statute of Limitations sort of thing.

Latest posts

Top Bottom