What do you do in your Tree Stand??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jared

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Huh. Nobody worries about the smell of coffee/snacks putting the deer (or other game) on high alert? :anyone:

If the wind is right it don't matter what smells emit from your stand. Unfortunately, here in the Ozark Plateau region, the wind will always swirl and mostly likely do it at the most inopportune time.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Buddy smokes and when he lights one up many times about 10-15 minutes later there are deer walking his way with noses in the air.
Whitetail deer are curious and will come up to a sleeping snoring human to see what it is.
I have been wanting to take my old 9 volt transistor radio and set it in the woods with a talk station on low and see how many
critters come up to investigate.
Yea if it is down right miserable and you see them later then bugging out may be fine.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Huh. Nobody worries about the smell of coffee/snacks putting the deer (or other game) on high alert? :anyone:

Not if you play the wind. I have 4 stand locations. One is primary for whatever wind direction. Each sits on the edge of the woods so any scent is blown into the surrounding wheat field. Never hunt nor visit that location if the wind is in the wrong direction.
The type of terrain determines what one can do.
I've paid my dues in the past sitting on a 2X6 wedged into the crotch of a tree, climbing up knots and 2X4's nailed to the tree getting to it in whatever weather mother nature produced.
Dangerous stuff I don't do these days. A nice metal ladder to a box blind with a propane heater, storm windows, pantry with food, and books.
Thanks to Okie 4570 sending me some ice fishing pics, I've designed a nice platform that sits on the buddy heater to set some water and instant coffee on and to warm up soup, stews, etc.
My days in the stand aren't just to kill a deer any longer, just to enjoy my time out there looking around. Love seeing a covey of quail coming through the grass and their reaction when the inevitable hawk stalks them, or watching the red tails hunt in pairs after a pheasant. Quite the show.
With an elevated view in the open terrain like we have, flocks of waterfowl are constantly flying overhead or on the horizon for another show.
It's said there are three levels of hunting. (depending on age mostly)
1st level is a blood sport. Kill em all and get-er done, extreme style.
2nd level is holding out for the big one, but filling the freezer none the less. Trophy is the most important thing.
3rd level is you really don't care if you get one or not because you've field dressed so many and dragged them so far that getting another one isn't a priority, but getting into the woods still is.
I'm at 3.
I have a friend that is at #3 as well. Without fail, he goes to his tower blind behind his home before light on some leased ground every day possible and has morning coffee. Sometimes he has friends visit to sit with him. They talk and watch game. Go to the house around 9 or 10 and start the days chores.
That's not a bad life.

Latest posts

Top Bottom