What do you do in your Tree Stand??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Lol, I was just thinkin' there are two types of Oklahoma deer hunters.

Those that think it's too warm for the deer, and those that think it's too cold for the hunters... :D

I can dress warm when cold, when it is warm I will hunt unless the black nats are biting!!! I can deal with any insect but those . Little bastards are relentless!

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Im not arguing that fact. But, say, within 100 yards, which is further than most people set themselves up to shoot, its just my opinion that if the wind is to where a deer can smell your snack or coffee they can also smell you. Or the gas on your hands from the gas pump. Or exhaust fumes on your clothes. Or the breakfast burrito on your breath.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Im not arguing that fact. But, say, within 100 yards, which is further than most people set themselves up to shoot, its just my opinion that if the wind is to where a deer can smell your snack or coffee they can also smell you. Or the gas on your hands from the gas pump. Or exhaust fumes on your clothes. Or the breakfast burrito on your breath.

If I were hunting on the ground, I would tend to agree with you. However, nearly all of my deer hunting is from an elevated, fully enclosed, box blind. I don't 'brew' coffee; I drink from a thermos. I do heat up a can of soup now and then. But, my feet are roughly twelve feet off the ground and I am inside an enclosure. What scent does escape my blind is over the deers' backs and any breeze helps to carry it away and over their heads. It is not at all unusual for me to have deer grazing on the wheat field within 20 to 30 yards of my stand. The stand has been there for several years, so they are used to it and my being inside doesn't seem to phase them one bit as long as I am quiet. A buddy of mine is partially handicapped and he rides his 4-wheeler right up underneath his elevated stand, where he parks it behind some pallets to break up the outline ... it doesn't fully hide it. He believes the deer do smell the 4-wheeler due to their actions, but he regularly has deer within 100 yards or so. They do not bolt and run, or snort or any such thing. They just act a bit apprehensive.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Same here on the elevated box blinds.
The way my stands are set to take advantage of the wind, all of my scent is blowing into an open wheat field. If they get down wind of me there, they are screwed if wanting to take one. Scent control in my situation really makes no sense.

Latest posts

Top Bottom