What do you do in your Tree Stand??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kirk1978

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I watch the aminals and take selfies!

photo1.jpg

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with company once in awhile but I've always liked to hunt alone also.

Many years ago a buddy of mines older brother had a 20 acre plot of land willed to him up in the mountains above Willburton (which gave us access to more land than we could cover) that most everyone else in the family didn't even know existed let alone go to. After the pavement ran out it was another 45 minute drive over old over grown logging roads till it got to the point it was so thick that we'd park the truck, throw camo netting over it and then hike another 20 minutes to the cabin (we'd each make three trips back and forth to the truck to get our food, drinking water and gear) Melvin and I threw together.........minus the snow and stove pipe our deer shack pretty much resembled the one pictured below.

After freezing our butts off at night the first two years and growing tired cooking over a campfire the third summer we finally wised up and humped in a real small used apartment size three burner gas stove that we we converted over to propane. The propane bottle was kept several yards from the cabin and we ran a line to the cabin and hooked it up to the stove inside through a hole in the wall.....at night we'd turn one burner one real low and that was enough to break the chill just enough inside the cabin to where we slept fairly well on our 2x4 bunk beds that we made.

To keep from smelling skunkish there was a small spring barely trickling out of the ground we found not far away that we damned up just enough to create a pool deep enough to dip water out of with a coffee pot to fill a sun shower bag which we'd hang from a tree limb and take quick and COLD showers.

Anyway back to hunting alone, Melvin never took the whole week off for deer season but I always took the whole week of primitive and rifle off......we'd take off Friday early opening weekend about noon and drive down and Melvin would hunt Sat. and Sun. and drive back to OKC and I'd stay the rest of the week by myself and he'd come back the following Fri. (closing weekend) and hunt Sat. and Sun.

Neither Melvin or my wife were very fond of the idea of leaving me down there with no transportation or outside communication but I really, really enjoyed being down there by myself for the two weeks of primitive and modern rifle season.......at the time Melvin had a cell phone and after the second year of me being down there alone my wife ask Melvin if he'd leave his phone with me through the week and he readily agreed. After each of them tried to call me several times through the week I fessed up and told them that I never turned it on or carried it the whole week I was there alone.

We hunted down there both deer seasons for about ten years till a new logging road was cut a couple miles from the cabin and we started seeing other hunters.

View attachment 147442

What an awesome story! I'd love to have had that experience.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
WARNING, DON"T READ THIS WHILE HUNTING!

WHEN ALICE WENT DEER HUNTING

It was Saturday morning as Jake, an avid hunter, woke up ready to go bag the first deer of the season. He walks down to the kitchen to get a cup of coffee, and to his surprise he finds his wife, Alice, sitting there, fully dressed in camouflage.

Jake asks her: “What are you up to?”

Alice smiles: “I’m going hunting with you!”

Jake, though he had many reservations about this, reluctantly decides to take her along. Later they arrive at the hunting site. Jake sets his wife safely up in the tree stand and tells her: “If you see a deer, take careful aim on it and I’ll come running back as soon as I hear the shot”.

Jake walks away with a smile on his face knowing that Alice couldn’t bag an elephant–much less a deer. Not 10 minutes pass when he is startled as he hears an array of gunshots.

Quickly, Jake starts running back. As Jake gets closer to her stand, he hears Alice screaming: “Get away from my deer!” Confused, Jake races faster towards his screaming wife. And again he hears her yell: “Get away from my deer!” followed by another volley of gunfire. Now within sight of where he had left his wife, Jake is surprised to see a cowboy, with his hands high in the air.

The cowboy, obviously distraught, says: “Okay, lady, okay!!!! You can have your deer!!! Just let me get my saddle off it!”

Latest posts

Top Bottom