What does this statement mean?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Honey Badger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's currently on a form 4 in Texas. I will pay the first transfer tax, whether directly to another Texas resident or to an out-of-state dealer. This is a title II ("NFA" or "Class 3") firearm.

The part about paying the first transfer tax I mean. Thanks.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If an item on on form 4 in one state, and it needs to be transfered to an individual in another in involves two tax paid transfers. It can go to a dealer/SOT in Texas on a tax paid form 4, then tax free form 3 to a dealer in OK, then on a tax paid form 4 to you. OR... It can go on a tax paid form 4 to the dealer/SOT in Oklahoma, then a tax paid form 4 from that dealer to you.

Any time a transfer involves a non-licensed individual and a licensee weather it is going out of the shop or coming in, it requires a tax paid transfer.

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The part about paying the first transfer tax I mean. Thanks.

Is this for a Tromix SBS?

Also, when he said "I will pay the first transfer tax, whether directly to another Texas resident or ....." is wrong. There would only be one transfer tax if he sold it to another Texas resident. One form 4 from him to the new owner. It only requires two transfer taxes when it goes to an out of state resident like DG posted above.

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Also, when he said "I will pay the first transfer tax, whether directly to another Texas resident or ....." is wrong. There would only be one transfer tax if he sold it to another Texas resident. One form 4 from him to the new owner. It only requires two transfer taxes when it goes to an out of state resident like DG posted above.

OK, splitting hairs here....

I've been involved in a few transfers where someone has said "I'll pay the first transfer tax...." and then found out that there was only one transfer tax and gotten buggie on the deal. They make the statement thinking that if there are two taxes, they will split the cost. Or it could be someone who is saying "I'll put one transfer tax fee into the deal, regardless of if there is one transfer or two".

I have actually lost an out of state deal in the past when the guy agreed to pay "his transfer tax" and then found out that since I was an FFL, there wasn't going to be a second transfer.

Dave

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dave/Dustin, I see your points, but I took it as if you say you will pay the first tax there is a second tax implied. Many folks think that a C3 dealer needs to be involved even for an instate transfer. There was an SBS for sale in the OSA classifieds recently where the seller thought a dealer had to be involved since it was an NFA weapon even though it was an instate sale. Anyway, I think we have covered the subject well and are all on the same sheet of music.

Honey Badger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

yes it was.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
what it really means is your in for a long ride with 3 transfers taking 2-9 months each.
dealer transfers are pretty quick. the individuals ones are real slow right now.
so this could take as long as 14 months to 2 years.

Latest posts

Top Bottom