What does this utility symbol mean?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
If you are having anything done to your property that would require poking a hole in the ground or any digging at all the contractor most likely called in a locate.
That’s the thing, I have no clue what’s going on.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
That’s the thing, I have no clue what’s going on.
If you are really concerned, you might be able to call 811 and find out who asked for the locate. I'm not sure if they will tell you or not.

I do know that any jackwad can ask for a locate for just about any area, at least it was that way a dozen years ago.

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you are really concerned, you might be able to call 811 and find out who asked for the locate. I'm not sure if they will tell you or not.

I do know that any jackwad can ask for a locate for just about any area, at least it was that way a dozen years ago.
Three weeks ago I came home to my front yard marked with close to 20 flags. Nearly a week later, lawn needed to be mowed, and no work had been done. I didn't call in the locate. I ended up calling 811 to inquire. They couldn't or wouldn't tell me who requested the locate, and I told them I needed to pull the flags to mow. They said that it was fine so I went ahead and pulled everything. It turns out my neighbor is switching to OEC fiber internet. To this day OEC hasn't been on site to run the line to his house.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
We still have a model home that is open with a show person. I’ll stop in there and ask her or get the info for who I need to contact.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It really doesn't matter who called in the request or why. If there's an easement there, utility companies have a right to access the easement to maintain their lines. Off the top of my head, I believe there is a period of time you're not supposed to pull them up, but it's limited. Like 3 days? Not sure. But once that period of time expires (sorry, not sure what it is) you are free to pull them up, whether anything has been done or not.

I'm sure the corporation commission could tell you how long that is. BTW, if the utility company digs up your yard and doesn't restore it to your satisfaction, you can report it to the Oklahoma Corporation Commission, and they mediate to make sure it gets put back into "reasonably" good condition. Utility companies hate corporation commission complaints, and will usually do anything they can within reason to avoid them, so if you're not getting satisfaction from the utility, you can tell them you'll have to call OCC. That will probably get their attention, and if it doesn't, a call to OCC will. I think you can file a complaint online.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I could tell all kinds of stories about difficult locates but gas lines can be some of the worst because plastic gas lines don't put off a signal. A locating wire has to be ran along with gas line and it has to be accessible at the meter to connect to.
Yep, there's a locating wire on the gas line to my house. Its loose end is wrapped around the pipe that goes out of the meter to the house. It's a straight shot from the meter to the house, and, IIRC, they buried it pretty deep (it was run well after the house was built), but that'd be a pain and a half if it got cut by mistake.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Three weeks ago I came home to my front yard marked with close to 20 flags. Nearly a week later, lawn needed to be mowed, and no work had been done. I didn't call in the locate. I ended up calling 811 to inquire. They couldn't or wouldn't tell me who requested the locate, and I told them I needed to pull the flags to mow. They said that it was fine so I went ahead and pulled everything. It turns out my neighbor is switching to OEC fiber internet. To this day OEC hasn't been on site to run the line to his house.
OEC Fiber is pretty backlogged. IIRC, they had someone out to mark the utilities about a week after I turned in the request, then it was another week or two before they had the contractors out to run the fiber. It shouldn't be a big deal, as they should follow the OEC power feed up to the house.

ETA: OEC Fiber kicks the crap out of AT$T and takes their lunch money. It's amazing--OEC Fiber quoted me $55/month for 100Mbps fiber (and they actually run fiber to the house, not just to a pedestal), and that's exactly what I see on my bill. AT$T, on the other hand, quoted a low price (which they refused to honor after they screwed up my order...again), then tacked on fees and charges and taxes and whatever the hell else they could conceive of adding to the bill, then began ratcheting everything up and up and up. Slime balls.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep, there's a locating wire on the gas line to my house. Its loose end is wrapped around the pipe that goes out of the meter to the house. It's a straight shot from the meter to the house, and, IIRC, they buried it pretty deep (it was run well after the house was built), but that'd be a pain and a half if it got cut by mistake.
It's supposed to be at least 18" deep

Latest posts

Top Bottom