What Grain .223 Do You Use?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You stated.
Not what you plink at the range with, but what you keep loaded next to your bed, for that bump in the night?

You can't go wrong with the V-max and close range stuff that goes bump in the night that I will shoot at will die with whatever round comes at them from a .223/5.56.

I would not want to take a 40 gr or any weight bullet to the chest or face shot from a rifle.

You speak of POI difference but this is also bump in the night shooting.
Not going to be any difference at close range.

But to answer the question I LOVE my 55 v-max it is amazing.
If you like fragmented bullet stuff in your critter you shoot.
If you like a nice controlled mushroom the PSP 55 gr Hornady does that in critters.

If you have only 40's i would not hesitate to use those.
I have shot 40's from my 1:7 16" 5.56.

Not as accurate as a 55gr at 100 yards 55's can stay in the under 1" area and the 40's with no fine tuning are in the 2" group size at 100 yards.
Not taking shots at home at 100 yards though.

I kind of want to do some clothing penetration testing now with the 40 gr at close range.
10 feet from the 5.56 1:7 twist see if it splatters before penetrating.

Jaypug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Was watching a classic firearms video I'll link, about what the FBI uses in their issue SBR .223 rifles (a 64 grain SP) and it got me wondering what everyone else keeps in their ready mags? Not what you plink at the range with, but what you keep loaded next to your bed, for that bump in the night? Only thing different I really have is some V-Max polymer tips I got from my father, but I'm thinking some sort of hollow point or soft point is in order, so I thought I would ask everyone else what they think?

The best choice is the one that matches the twist of your barrel. My Ruger mini 14 is designed for a 55 gr bullet.

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use a 55gr bonded soft point (Speer Gold Dot).

It barely meets the 12" penetration requirement, but does...expands extremely well in all tests, and is still "marginal" (not useless) through barriers.

I should add that my HD situation does have a high probability for children downrange...so I built in multiple (7) hardwood layers of protection with solid bookshelves, dressers etc... and I chose a bullet that will stop in them just a bit sooner.

My ranch rig uses 64gr Speer Gold Dots, and they are fantastic on big pigs. I have absolutely zero doubt that even a good center-mass impact is going to go through a fat guy and keep on trucking for a bit. Great for outside, less great with kids in the background.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom