What Grain .223 Do You Use?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
V max is basically a hollowpoint.

I could elaborate further on different bullet lethality etc. but some will argue and I am to busy for that nonsense.
That is no sh*t. Stupid math and science stuff.

MassxVel2/450400=energy things.

@Jason Freeland Here's a great calculator for the very thing you are asking. This will be as far as I go because the sh*tbombs will be flying soon. Google wound ballistics, Buford Boone, and muzzle energy. 👍
https://shooterscalculator.com/bullet-kinetic-energy.php

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
How different do they shoot as in how far off zero do you find yourself, when you switch?
Depends on the guns, optics, and how you are shooting them. Generally, you won't see much out to 300m. After that, you'll start seeing the deviation. If you are trying to shoot more precision (like with a high power scope and sandbags and such), you'll see the the difference earlier. But if you're shooting with an Eotech or an LPVO or some other combat optic, not so much. Some of mine only get 77gr. Some only get 55gr. Some IDC.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Freedom still has 69 grain in stock and that is a close second on my list. I'm just thinking the soft point might work better for urban use (closer distances and worry about over penetration).

Freedom 223 69 gr Hollow Point Boat Tail (HPBT) Match New ($2.99 Shipping on orders $250-$2000)
i am not concerned about an urban environment. i am shooting mostly coyote and other pests. have shot deer with it also and it expands and does a good job. the factory load fits my bdc in the scope real good also

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Depends on the guns, optics, and how you are shooting them. Generally, you won't see much out to 300m. After that, you'll start seeing the deviation. If you are trying to shoot more precision (like with a high power scope and sandbags and such), you'll see the the difference earlier. But if you're shooting with an Eotech or an LPVO or some other combat optic, not so much. Some of mine only get 77gr. Some only get 55gr. Some IDC.
Only AR I have right now has a Romeo 5 with a Juliet 5X magnifier. Doubt in Warr Acres if I would be shooting more than 300 meters anyway, if it truly comes to it. Thanks.

Latest posts

Top Bottom