What I saw today...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It doesn't sound like they were there to pay their respects to the deceased....some people have "0" class.

Not necessarily - the song may have been played by the family in order to recall happy memories for the audience about their time with the departed in this life. Their reaction could have been very personal recollections of a fun event they all had together. The most recent memorial service I attended included many laughs and happy stories of how lives were touched by the one being remembered. There were tears because none of us would have those times again but the memories were sweet and that's how people live on through the lives they have touched.

ForsakenConservative

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This happened a while ago, but is still fresh in my mind......
I was cutting the front lawn, and I got my lawn tractor stuck in the bar ditch. Happens to me occasionally, so I know to get off it and rotate it 90 degrees to get traction, and away I go. While I was pulling it around, a young fella, a complete stranger, stopped by with (I presume) his date that evening, and offered to help. I had pretty much finished, but he helped anyhow. They went on their way and as I finished my work I wondered why he thought I needed help......:hellno:, I’m only 50!
Once I got over myself, I began to appreciate the fact that I live in a place where that happens. I think of that day every time I see those woke idiot victims on the “news”, and tell myself that there are more of those thoughtful young people out there, they just don’t fit the narrative that gets them on tv..... I sure hope time proves me right......

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not necessarily - the song may have been played by the family in order to recall happy memories for the audience about their time with the departed in this life. Their reaction could have been very personal recollections of a fun event they all had together. The most recent memorial service I attended included many laughs and happy stories of how lives were touched by the one being remembered. There were tears because none of us would have those times again but the memories were sweet and that's how people live on through the lives they have touched.
On the radio the other day, I heard the late Joe Diffie saying people had told him that his song, Prop Me Up Beside the Jukebox When I Die, was being played at funerals.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's Oklahoma. I see people every day driving down the rural roads giving the index finger wave vs the middle finger wave you get in the big cities.
It's been interesting over the years that folks moving to OK or visiting see people typically on two lane rural roads raise the index finger from the hand on the wheel as a wave to someone driving in opposing traffic in rural areas. I've seen several letters to the editor in our local news from visitors to our state saying when they first got here, they were offended until they realized it was a greeting/hello and saw which finger was being used.
Don't see it so much in urban areas. Traffic is too hectic I guess.

murphranch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Courtesy is still shown everyday on the rural roads where I live. Anytime you meet a car, school bus, county dump truck, UPS/FedEx, semi, or any tractor and implement on a gravel road and you are in a pickup or truck you just pull over and let them have the right of way. Especially when it’s raining or muddy.
White Ford F-350 feed trucks are extremely common around here. I have a few select friends that all have white trucks and we have jokingly exchanged the “bird” for years but with more and more white feed trucks around there started to be several inadvertent fingers sent to the wrong drivers or the kids and wives who happened to be driving the trucks at that time. Now if someone flips me the bird and it’s not one of the buddies of mine I got to start thinking “when was the last time I talked to him or what the hell did I do to piss him off.”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Courtesy is still shown everyday on the rural roads where I live. Anytime you meet a car, school bus, county dump truck, UPS/FedEx, semi, or any tractor and implement on a gravel road and you are in a pickup or truck you just pull over and let them have the right of way. Especially when it’s raining or muddy.
White Ford F-350 feed trucks are extremely common around here. I have a few select friends that all have white trucks and we have jokingly exchanged the “bird” for years but with more and more white feed trucks around there started to be several inadvertent fingers sent to the wrong drivers or the kids and wives who happened to be driving the trucks at that time. Now if someone flips me the bird and it’s not one of the buddies of mine I got to start thinking “when was the last time I talked to him or what the hell did I do to piss him off.”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yep, I spent over an hour behind some cowboys on horseback herding cattle down Apperson Road last year, going a couple of miles before they got them into the new pasture and I could go on to where I wanted to go fishing. Brought back some good memories.
Out here you learn to slow down and let folks do their jobs. When coming up on tractors or combines, I'll always pull over and give them the right of way. They are on the job, and I'm usually just piddling around these days.

Latest posts

Top Bottom