What I saw today...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's Oklahoma. I see people every day driving down the rural roads giving the index finger wave vs the middle finger wave you get in the big cities.
It's been interesting over the years that folks moving to OK or visiting see people typically on two lane rural roads raise the index finger from the hand on the wheel as a wave to someone driving in opposing traffic in rural areas. I've seen several letters to the editor in our local news from visitors to our state saying when they first got here, they were offended until they realized it was a greeting/hello and saw which finger was being used.
Don't see it so much in urban areas. Traffic is too hectic I guess.

Not so much the single finger, but out in the Panhandle, we tended to raise more than one from the steering wheel.

Then I read a comment from someone that was passing through Cimarron and Texas Counties that said something to the effect that "those folks probably waved because they hadn't seen anyone on the roads for quite some time. Probably waved just to acknowledge the presence of the other in such a lonely place."

wawazat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I always wave to other farm or O&G looking vehicles out around our house. Growing up, it was common courtesy in the country. Ive stopped to help and been helped by more than person that I had only known as far as the drive by wave before that. It is one of the things I missed about living more in the country.

Louro

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a number of errands to run earlier today, and started paying attention to the folks I saw. I saw people of all races, ages, physical condition, etc. doing very respectful things virtually everywhere I went. I saw a young black guy holding the door for an elderly white woman. I saw a Hispanic boy, looked to be about 13-15 years old, stop and pick up an item a lady dropped in a grocery store. People everywhere were holding doors for each other, and speaking to each other. I only encountered one clerk that didn't thank me for my purchase.

I know there is a pretty good sized group of disrespectful, ungrateful, low moral folks running around, but today's experience felt really good, and encouraged me to try to look for the good folks instead of the opposite.

I guess you are not paying attention how racist, homophobic and bigot this nation has become sense DJT presidency. But, I guess you don't watch much of the FAKE news. I see what you experience every day, maybe is because this is OKLAHOMA.

Latest posts

Top Bottom