What idioms of speech annoy you?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don't get me started! I could literally write a book on things like this that absolutely drive me INSANE!

Like, the proper use and placement of words like...

Waste/waist
Sale/sell/sail
To/too/two

Then of course, here in rural, back woods Oklahoma, you have words that are spelled the same, but have different meanings, like mayonaise.

Mayonaise sho nuff lotsa folks here tonight...

Or words like witchyadidya.

Hey, you didn't bring your truck witchyadidya?

And yes, I stole those last two from our buddy Jeff Foxworthy, but I swear to God I've heard folks around here use both of those words in that exact fashion.

Grendelshooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dont have an exact date for you.

What to Know
Often has a medial /t/ that, like similar words such has "hasten" and "soften," was once pronounced and is now typically silent. Unlike the similar words, pronouncing the "t" in "often" has returned in some modern usage. This pronunciation is still scrutinized heavily and there is a divide between whether this is an educated or uneducated way of speaking.
You’re right! The ‘t’ is historical correct.
Glad that’s settled. Too many words have been corrupted by lazy speech patterns, time to start taking the Germanic roots of English back.
Pronouncing it without the T is essentially the Early Modern English form of Ebonics.

sherrick13

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You’re right! The ‘t’ is historical correct.
Glad that’s settled. Too many words have been corrupted by lazy speech patterns, time to start taking the Germanic roots of English back.
Pronouncing it without the T is essentially the Early Modern English form of Ebonics.
Still wrong.

They used to say ax instead of ask. That make ebonics proper?

Grendelshooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Still wrong.

They used to say ax instead of ask. That make ebonics proper?
Obviously not, hence the controversy.

As to ax, I think you’re purposely misstating the case. Old Frisian, Old High German, and Old Saxon all had it as a form of Ask. The Ax form was a variant that was supplanted by the original Ask starting in around 1500 iirc. The original Ask is ancient and traceable to PIE roots.

So like the T on often coming back into fashion after decades of lazy pronunciation, ask has replaced the incorrect ax form because it was wrong. Being wrong for a long time doesn’t make it right lol.

sherrick13

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Obviously not, hence the controversy.

As to ax, I think you’re purposely misstating the case. Old Frisian, Old High German, and Old Saxon all had it as a form of Ask. The Ax form was a variant that was supplanted by the original Ask starting in around 1500 iirc. The original Ask is ancient and traceable to PIE roots.

So like the T on often coming back into fashion after decades of lazy pronunciation, ask has replaced the incorrect ax form because it was wrong. Being wrong for a long time doesn’t make it right lol.
So we should use all pronunciation from the 1600's?

L.C.

👮🏻RETIRED L.E.O.👮🏻
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I hate it when people who moved to Oklahoma from kalifornia say, Well in California we blah,blah,blah.
2nd would be Ebonics.

Grendelshooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So we should use all pronunciation from the 1600's?
Much of our language, like the word Ask, is largely the same regardless.
I would unironically be happy to take English back to its ethnic roots rather than the half-Latin we have now.
William the Bastard and his invasion have been a disaster for English speaking peoples.
More to the point though your position is that it’s wrong, when if anything it’s simply fallen out of style. It’s not wrong, it’s how the language existed for a 1000 years. We just live in a lazy, multi-ethnic empire that can’t even remember how it’s own language sounded.

sherrick13

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Much of our language, like the word Ask, is largely the same regardless.
I would unironically be happy to take English back to its ethnic roots rather than the half-Latin we have now.
William the Bastard and his invasion have been a disaster for English speaking peoples.
More to the point though your position is that it’s wrong, when if anything it’s simply fallen out of style. It’s not wrong, it’s how the language existed for a 1000 years. We just live in a lazy, multi-ethnic empire that can’t even remember how it’s own language sounded.

OfTen, still annoys me.
1635810786406.png

Latest posts

Top Bottom