What idioms of speech annoy you?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Haven't seen you post in a minute.

Still dealing with health issues over that damned tree squishing me. Some days I just am NOT good company. (And if you don't believe me just ask poor Grumpy.)

You doing good?? I see nothing's changed much around here. Lol

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The one that annoys me is "You feel me?"

No, I do not "FEEL" you. Do you want me to "FEEL" you? Because I don't think you'd like it very much if I "FEEL' you.

Like newcyoolar?

It used to drive me nuts when GWB would say "nukular" instead of "nuclear". I'd be like "Should you really have control over nuclear weapons, when you can't even pronounce the word "nuclear"???

FWIW, some days I annoy myself. :drunk2:

That is really the worst, because you can't even get away from yourself!

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The words social, community or conversation used before almost anything else. It's worn out. Same for the term due diligence. Time to retire several $5 buzzwords.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm pretty irritated with the whole destruction of the English language.

Idiots try to justify the dumbing-down of our vocabulary, make excuses for spelling changes, and credit low-IQ cultures with the current trends of speech.

Pick up a book from 1940, listen to people speak from a film in 1960 - it's plain that our current citizenry is winning the race to the bottom of the intelligence scale.

Much of that is why the one actual dictionary that we have is one from back in the 1950's.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I had a grandma that was a total hoot. Lots of great stories. Embarrassing at the time but in reflection great stories.
Words that bother me are those saying they are “prolly” going to “sale” you this whatever.
Prolly is not a freeking word and shows ones ignorance of the English language. Sale in this context is again not proper English.

The prolly thing goes right along with LOL,WTH and YOMV..... Typing on your phone with 2 thumbs gets tedious so I have prolly used that shortened version a couple times !! :cool:

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah... I was a member of a now defunct electronics forum, and "prolly" (among others) was standard fare. Trust me, it wasn't for lack of intelligence.

When you type at the speed of turtle, shortcuts can be handy. I starting using "Mac" when I first got on the internet because it's half the letters of my given name, and I was often typing/pecking with 2 fingers (some of my customers also called me "Mac").
:drunk2:

pistolpete95

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Two things. Use of the high rising terminal speech pattern also known as upspeak. The other is use of the filler word ‘literally’. It seems that people can’t put 2-3 sentences together without using the word literally. Literally.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hey, Youse guys! I hate it when a waitress asks,"what would you guys like?" To the wife and me. We aren't guys! I am but she isn't.

Latest posts

Top Bottom